Discuss Installing PV Panels - access equipment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Loyd

We are heading towards MCS Certification. We have done to courses and understand the technology and how to install it. I'm even coming to terms with the amount paperwork that we will have to produce!

The one thing that I keep coming back to that can make the job quick and easy or difficult and dangerous is the choice of access equipment. Like most sparkies, we don't have a lot of experience of working on the roof so I am determined to find the best solution.

I have made contact with local scaffolding companies but want to limit the number of contractors we have to use.

I have looked at the variety of types and manufacturers of scaffolding towers that are available.

I have IPAF qualified electricians but MEWPs are really only suitable for short maintenance jobs, not for installation.

What do you use?

Loyd

We use and scaffolder. For the majority of properties a scaffold is the only safe and practical means of access. We also use a roofer to mount the rails and assist with getting the panels into place.

Not involved in PV installations but have done alot comms work on roof tops ( flat and pitched ) and found my rope access qualification very useful and adaptable for safe working on roof tops

If you need training for fixing safety eye bolts and other types of fixings I can recommend this guy Independent Fixings Consultants did a very intensive one day course with him about 10 years ago

Those of you who use scaffolding,

1. On how many sides of the roof do you have scaffolding - just the front, front and one side, front and two sides?
2. How do you choose a scaffolder - personal recommendation, member of an industry body?
3. How much would you expect to pay the scaffolder for say, a 3 bed detatched?

Loyd

1. We scaffold the area under the side of roof we are working on. Unless you are working on or over the ridge there is little point in scaffolding the rear area. If we are near the gable end also we have a hand rail fitted from ridge to scaffold. Any area of risk of fall should be covered. We had a flat roof railed in for example. Scaffold is normally at gutter height also. Not under the gutter but level with it.

2. We use a long time friend who owns his own scaffolding company but we also have two other companies who deal with the larger systems. Both are large local companies who have been about for years and well known BUT we still have records of their accreditations and method statements etc.

3. That's the million dollar question! Best thing to do. Get three quotes or guide prices from different companies. Give a height and length or if you have the time get them out to quote on your own property.

We do try and stick to the one company and as they are good friends and very good scaffolder's but they can't always handle the work load due to lack of poles! hence the others but we pay vastly more per job from any of the others. If you find someone local and small they may well do a deal on regular work over the larger ones.

How about a cherry picker? or scissor lift?

Cherry picker and scissor lifts are for high level work platforms and not a means of access on to a roof. You can't leave the working platform to gain access to the roof surface (or shouldn't!). Scissor lift can't get over the roof. Cherry pickers you'd be standing to high over the roof to be of any use. Scaffolding acts as a work platform and fall restraint. Scaffold towers are to narrow and HSE see these as a working platform rather than a means of access.

Cherry picker and scissor lifts are for high level work platforms and not a means of access on to a roof. You can't leave the working platform to gain access to the roof surface (or shouldn't!). Scissor lift can't get over the roof. Cherry pickers you'd be standing to high over the roof to be of any use. Scaffolding acts as a work platform and fall restraint. Scaffold towers are to narrow and HSE see these as a working platform rather than a means of access.

You could always hang from it like a monkey:D, i've not installed any pv so don#t know how difficult it would be, i've only accessed a roof via a ladder and roof ladder but you would want to be carrying a pv panel up that, scaffold is the only way then

Reply to Installing PV Panels - access equipment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net