Discuss Installing smart wifi 3 way switch with another toggle switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don7777

DIY
Reaction score
I have bought ge wifi smart dimmer switch and it has support for 3 way light. But while checking the instructions video it’s saying I need to change all the switch in the circuit to make it work means the second switch also has to be changed to ge sync switch for 3 way install?

I was wondering if I install this smart switch and keep the other toggle switch to always on position will it not work ?

I'm in the UK, so your 3W switch equals our 2W switch. May be an idea to post the instruction leaflet on here, but if the new switch functions as a 2W (3W), then I can't see any obvious reason why the other switch wouldn't function exactly as before.

I'm in the UK, so your 3W switch equals our 2W switch. May be an idea to post the instruction leaflet on here, but if the new switch functions as a 2W (3W), then I can't see any obvious reason why the other switch wouldn't function exactly as before.
I am in US
Here is the official instructions for this switch to be installed from GE

Didn't see anything in the vid that suggests you can't retain one of existing 3W switches, although it's possible that if your wiring is as in the circuit diagram at about 58 seconds, then the smart switch can only be fitted in place of the left hand switch, since there's no permanent live (hot) at the RH switch. There is an arguably better way of connecting up a 3W switch, which needs three wires between the two switches, and gives a permanent live at both, but I don't think this arrangement is commonly used in the US.

Didn't see anything in the vid that suggests you can't retain one of existing 3W switches, although it's possible that if your wiring is as in the circuit diagram at about 58 seconds, then the smart switch can only be fitted in place of the left hand switch, since there's no permanent live (hot) at the RH switch. There is an arguably better way of connecting up a 3W switch, which needs three wires between the two switches, and gives a permanent live at both, but I don't think this arrangement is commonly used in the US.
I am really sorry I provided wrong installation link in my previous comment.
I have 4 wire switch. Below is the installation video.

Reply to Installing smart wifi 3 way switch with another toggle switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net