Discuss Installing socket, newbee in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

handyn14

DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon.

I’m wanting to install a socket into a kitchen for a washing machine and have been quoted £220 which I think is ridiculous. I’m hoping someone here can help me and guide me on the install. There is a boiler near with this fused switch in below image, I’m wondering if I can tap into this and install a single/double socket. I’m totally new to this and never done this before, I understand I need to switch electric off from fuse board etc, Iv had a look and it is rcd protected.4E5EE203-1A88-49BE-927F-2E0B65EA91CC.jpeg

TL;DR
How to install socket
Last edited by a moderator:
You would have to ascertain how the boiler switch is supplied already….

Is it a radial circuit or spurred off ring somewhere? (Or lighting, but that shouldn’t happen)

What size cable supplies the boiler switch?

What size mcb supplies this cable at consumer unit?

Is this circuit rcd protected?

There is much more to think about than simply “can I use this?”
Where about in UK are you? ( first half of postcode)
A forum member may be nearby that can visit and advise for much less than £220….
Although, depending on the amount of work required to do it, 220 isn’t a huge amount.

Couple of other 'interesting' points in that pic that could do with checking over by a knowledgeable eye - two pipe bonding clamps with no wires connected to them, and what looks like part of a cable gland lying on a timber cross piece.

Reply to Installing socket, newbee in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

DIY'er question: I have a singe switched fused spur above my kitchen counter, providing power to an undercounter fridge socket beneath it. The...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m looking to install an outside light as a spur from a socket on a ring main. There is already a spur from this socket supplying...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views
If someone made a request to you, to install a new double socket that would be supplying power to a tumble dryer along a circuit that does not go...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'd like to move the existing socket that feeds the boiler down to where I've pencilled in that can be seen on the photo. The socket to the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock