Discuss Installing sockets for a friend in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dan morris

Hi I'm very new to electrical work I'm doing my level 2 electrical installation at college and my friend that's just got a new unit has asked if I could put some sockets in for him. I was wondering if this is as simple as I would do at college I.e. Ive done it all on the mdf boards etc at college but what is it like in practice. He basically wants 6 double sockets. Now
I know how to do the circuit side of things but I don't really know how to apply it to the distribution board, would the neutral and earth join up with the others and then the line would go into one of the fuses, would this most likely already be installed so would it be a case of opening it up and just wiring it up how I would do at college or would new ones need to be attached. Also if anyone could let me the type of cable/ sockets and if I would need conduit etc as well that would be a massive help if possible it's just on like a breeze block wall around his unit. If no one recommends it then I won't do it but if I can apply what I've learnt at college I would like to give it ago.
Any advice would be apreciated.
Thanks dan

Don't want to sound negative but from what you are saying you do not have sufficient knowledge to undertake this task. Are you in the electrical industry outside of college.

Last edited:
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.
Depending on exactly what is to be done, the work may need notification to the local building control, as it may be notifiable building works under part P of the building regulations. A qualified Electrician can do that but your work won't be accepted by them yet.

I'm wondering what they are teaching at college these days, how to install sockets, but not to energise them? OP if they haven't got to that bit yet, I would wait a while until they do.

Ive done it all on the mdf boards etc at college but what is it like in practice.
He basically wants 6 double sockets. Now
I know how to do the circuit side of things but I don't really know how to apply it to the distribution board, would the neutral and earth join up with the others and then the line would go into one of the fuses, would this most likely already be installed so would it be a case of opening it up and just wiring it up how I would do at college or would new ones need to be attached. Also if anyone could let me the type of cable/ sockets and if I would need conduit etc as well that would be a massive help
Thanks dan

Perhaps its just me Dan but try as I might I couldn't make sense of that lot above

The Part P or Not interests me not one jot,so as a trainee ask yourself questions
First decide what circuit type you intend these sockets to be wired
Will you be extending an existing circuit or will they be on

What loads will be applied,will segregation of sockets onto different fuses/mcbs be worthwhile
What circuit protection is at the board,are any spare ways suitable for your needs
Will plastic conduit and single core cables be suitable.decide the best cable type
Answer these sort of questions before asking for assistance to put into practice hopefully under supervision

What's the activity going on in this 'new unit'?

Having asked that, I suspect that you don't yet have enough experience to do this job.

What test equipment do you have and what experience do you have of using it?

you could probably do it, but it's not justa question of installing cables and sockets. it's design then it's testing dead, knowing why, then as long as results are satisfactory, energise and live test.

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum, we have a trainee section that may benefit you and all you need to be is on an active course, feel free if it interests you to go to the trainee application section and submit your details for admins attention, it's not a requirement but would benefit someone in your position.
Cheers guys I won't attempt it I just wanted to know if it's something I could have done if someone could have explained it to me but as I have no experience I will wait till I get some
Thanks dan

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum, we have a trainee section that may benefit you and all you need to be is on an active course, feel free if it interests you to go to the trainee application section and submit your details for admins attention, it's not a requirement but would benefit someone in your position.

Yes that would be great I'm doing the level 2 evening course 2 nights a week but I'm fine with the practical but it's the theory I don't understand and sometimes I don't understand why I'm doing certain things which I know experience would obviously bridge that gap. I'm a Signmaker so I don't really do anything electrical apart from changing the fluroscents and l.e.ds. How would I contact the admin or do you know who they are. Thanks for your help
Cheers Dan

Reply to Installing sockets for a friend in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock