Discuss Installing sockets in a thin block wall. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iamjon

Hi guys, I have been asked to install some additional sockets for a family friend. However when I have been to look at the house (1950's built) I have found that the upstairs walls are really thin. They look like breeze but are much softer (I can pratically scrape them away with a screwdriver). They are wanting around 12 double sockets fitting flush but I really cannot see any way to do this.

Does anyone know of a backbox that goes right through so I could perhaps install back to back in adjoining rooms (if anything exists) or is it going to be surface mounting?

Thanks in advance

Just chop them in very carefully, the blocks are 2" thick and a box 1" so it's doable

As Dave says, but also make sure there are plenty of screw's in the back box to hold them well from future years of plugging/unplugging. I would fix a couple of screw's in and then with the back box in position I would maybe put a couple of plugs in at a slight angle to help reduce the chance of it loosening.

I personally would love all walls to be of this construction. You can chop it out with a spade bit!! Easy peasy!

If you can get it chopped in without punching through then I would recommend a using a bonding agent like can be purchased in those silicone gun tubes to set it solid without the need for screwing it.

I redid a kitchen for a kitchen fitter the other week and whilst carefully digging out a 47mm double back box, when I drilled the holes to fix it, I blew a rather large hole in their freshly decorated lounge wall. First time I've damaged someone's house.

That's nothing, As an apprentice I chopped a 47mm box in for a shaver point then drilled the fixings straight through the back of the box and through the canvas of a massive old painting hanging on the wall the other side!

That's nothing, As an apprentice I chopped a 47mm box in for a shaver point then drilled the fixings straight through the back of the box and through the canvas of a massive old painting hanging on the wall the other side!

I think we all have done it but thats classic... lol

In single skinned internal solid walls I always drill the fixings at an angle and preferably without hammer action to avoid the above scenarios. :smug:

Ahhh thermo****e blocks. it can feel like the wall will fall down when chopping one of them out, even by hand. I use a wood chisel now as they are sharper. I've screwed a 35mm back box in to one of them compressed straw internal walls once and went through to the other side. The customers had just had the room painted as well.

Reply to Installing sockets in a thin block wall. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net