Discuss Installing terminals in consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.

I bought an empty consumer unit for installation in a shed project and now I have no idea how to install the neutral/earth terminals. The DIN rail won't fit the DIN terminals and there's only a space marked for the terminals.20220730_093628.jpg
Any help appreciated

Apart from the lack of N & E terminals, where is the RCD protection for the shed circuits? Presumably at the supply end?

It is also a little unsual that all the MCBs are C-types?
What are the circuits/loads in the shed?

Depending, I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to buy something more suited to the job?

Interesting CU configuration with an upfront C100 MCB

It would also appear that the manfacturer only produces C type breakers

Had a look at the manufacturers site and RCBO's starting at around $1.50 screams real quality😀

Interesting CU configuration with an upfront C100 MCB

It would also appear that the manfacturer only produces C type breakers

Had a look at the manufacturers site and RCBO's starting at around $1.50 screams real quality😀
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm trying to get this unit as pictured above to look like this:

terminals.jpg
I can get the busbar and the wiring and terminal parts but not sure where to get the mounting rail.

Attachments

• 20220730_093120.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm trying to get this unit as pictured above to look like this:

View attachment 101249
I can get the busbar and the wiring and terminal parts but not sure where to get the mounting rail.
Can you not go back to where you got the CU from for the bits you need

If you can't I would buy an alternative CU rather than trying to bodge what you have and even if you get all the bits you need the C type breakers may not meet the required maximum Zs values once installed

Unlike DIN rail, terminal blocks in enclosures are usually proprietary designs, only their particular components are likely to fit the mounting points in the box. I would always hesitate to buy obscure brands of switchgear for exactly this sort of reason, even if the certification and QA were trustworthy.

Did it come from a genuine UK-based seller? Was it sold as a consumer unit? There are places where the concept of a consumer unit is a little different to the one in BS7671. They put some MCBs in a box, link them with wire, twist all the neutrals and (if fitted) earths together and tape, and the installation is considered finished and energised. Busbars, RCDs, safety approvals, flame-retardant construction etc are not required or expected.

There are places where the concept of a consumer unit is a little different to the one in BS7671.
When seeing the photo in the OP, my first instinct was to reply "that's not a consumer unit!"
Which it isn't, not by any known standard in the UK anyway.
BS7671 defines a consumer unit, in part, as "a type tested coordinated assembly".
If one is expected to assemble all the parts, then it doesn't fit this definition.

I would suggest to the OP to send it back and buy an actual consumer unit. Better still, get an electrician to advise, supply and install the consumer unit, and circuits therefrom, along with the appropriate required certification. There is also the matter of the required notification to local authority building control.

Did it come from a genuine UK-based seller?

As information about this enclosure wasn't forthcoming from the OP, I looked online for suppliers of 'Mezeen' circuit protection devices. The only options I could find were made-in-china.com and Alibaba, both of which offer a populated 'DB' similar to that pictured.

I hesitate to offer any advice about the installation of equipment that may well be entirely unsuited to its intended purpose.

As information about this enclosure wasn't forthcoming from the OP, I looked online for suppliers of 'Mezeen' circuit protection devices. The only options I could find were made-in-china.com and Alibaba, both of which offer a populated 'DB' similar to that pictured.

I hesitate to offer any advice about the installation of equipment that may well be entirely unsuited to its intended purpose.
Thanks again for your replies. I was hoping to save some money but it's clear I need to do it properly so I'll have someone do it for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks again for your replies. I was hoping to save some money but it's clear I need to do it properly so I'll have someone do it for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Speak to an electrician. Many will be happy for you to save money by doing much of the leg work. There are a number of very keenly priced options for distribution of power, which are used widely in the UK and afford the reassurance of manufacturer's guarantee.

I've used Gewiss IP55 DIN enclosures as consumer units in damp situations. These only contained the DIN rail as supplied, with the neutral and earth bars supplied as an extra for fitting by the installer.

Reply to Installing terminals in consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net