Discuss installing/testing variable speed draft fan control switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

thook44

DIY
Reaction score
hello there,
i have Jensen 24a wood furnace and it needs a new switch. the manual calls it the "rheostat", but it's like any other variable speed controller with two wires. I bought two inexpensive ones off ebay only to find they are labeled as dimmer switches though they were advertised for wood stove blowers/fans. this switch is to control the draft/stoker fan and neither of the two will activate it. so, I set about testing them with my ohm meter and I get no continuity or resistance with the switch turned on. I thought maybe they're just lemons, but I then tested a brand new ceiling fan wall switch and same thing....no continuity. I have some practical working knowledge and experience with installing and troubleshooting electrical systems with 120/240 and 12v, so I know how to use my meter. I just don't understand why I'm not getting continuity. are these type switches not like any other type switches? seems unlikely all three of these would be bad

thanks, matthew

ps. I realize the reason for the stoker not activating might be due to something else, but want to start by understanding what I'm seeing with the switches

hello there,
i have Jensen 24a wood furnace and it needs a new switch. the manual calls it the "rheostat", but it's like any other variable speed controller with two wires. I bought two inexpensive ones off ebay only to find they are labeled as dimmer switches though they were advertised for wood stove blowers/fans. this switch is to control the draft/stoker fan and neither of the two will activate it. so, I set about testing them with my ohm meter and I get no continuity or resistance with the switch turned on. I thought maybe they're just lemons, but I then tested a brand new ceiling fan wall switch and same thing....no continuity. I have some practical working knowledge and experience with installing and troubleshooting electrical systems with 120/240 and 12v, so I know how to use my meter. I just don't understand why I'm not getting continuity. are these type switches not like any other type switches? seems unlikely all three of these would be bad

thanks, matthew

ps. I realize the reason for the stoker not activating might be due to something else, but want to start by understanding what I'm seeing with the switches
Take your rheostat to your local electrical parts house and buy the right one

Take your rheostat to your local electrical parts house and buy the right one
thanks for the reply. turns out, though, these type of switches will not get an ohm reading. iow's, what i was getting...or not getting...is normal. so, i don't need a new switch. and, as it turns out, the part of the control box that the rheostat switch is wired to was bad though other parts of the control were still good...ie. it would run the big distribution fan that didn't require a switch. i replaced the control and now it all works. anyway, again, thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply. turns out, though, these type of switches will not get an ohm reading. iow's, what i was getting...or not getting...is normal. so, i don't need a new switch. and, as it turns out, the part of the control box that the rheostat switch is wired to was bad though other parts of the control were still good...ie. it would run the big distribution fan that didn't require a switch. i replaced the control and now it all works. anyway, again, thanks for the reply
Your welcome my friend and you come back now hear

Reply to installing/testing variable speed draft fan control switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock