Discuss Instrumentation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Eire79

-
Reaction score
Advise please , I'm installing a endress and hauser system to gauge level in a DI water tank and I'm having difficulty wiring it . The instrument is a ceraphant PTP31B and the monitor inside is a RIA 45 . Has anyone wired these together on a 4 -20mA as it won't work for me it shuts down after a small pressure increase and iv checked instrument on a older model of display a RIA 250 and it works fine . So I think my wiring arrangements are out . Iv 3 wires to terminate so it's positive negative and 4-20 back . Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200708_131454.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200708_131505.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15
Studying the wiring connection diagrams for the sensor and meter and noting that the sensor output is 'active' I reckon the link X2 to X8 is not needed.

What is confusing is that the 4 pin sensor plug-socket has connections for 3 wire current mode (two for power and one for active 4-20mA current source output for the meter) plus one wire for active relay control - but the meter connection diagrams do not show how to connect this arrangement - only 2 wire and 4 wire.

So P? is sensor plug and X? is meter:

P1 to X1,

P3 to X2

P2 to X4

P4 is the relay output (active high wrt to P3/X2) - the RIA45 does not have a relay input so P4 remains unconnected.

The RIA45 does have two relay outputs - the two triplets of R? terminals top left at rear.

Please let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Eire79: Further to my #2 above I have found the technical documentation for the PTP31 sensor. See:

https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/5000557/6848/000/09/TI00384PEN_1514.pdf

Reading through it seems to me one can either buy three variants of the PTP31, ie: PTP31A, PTP31B and PTP31C or one buys a PTP31 and then configures it as an A, B or C - I cannot work out which is the case.

The letters A, B and C indicate the type measurement system that the PTP31 is employed for - see page 4 of the reference. The A model is a single relay output, the B two relay outputs and the C a relay and a 4-20mA output.

Furthermore if you look at page 6 of the reference the M12 connector on the PTP31 has 4 different pin configurations. The A1 pinout is for a single relay, A2 and A2' for two relay outputs and A3 and A3' for a relay and a 4-20mA output.

Note though there is a swap over of use of M12 pins 2 and 4 between A3 and A3'.
The pinouts A2' and A3' are associated with the DESINA cable standard.

So Sir, it seems to me you need to clarify which PTP31 sensor you have, what type of outputs/measurement system it provides and how the M12 connector is configured before connecting to the meter.

Studying the wiring connection diagrams for the sensor and meter and noting that the sensor output is 'active' I reckon the link X2 to X8 is not needed.

What is confusing is that the 4 pin sensor plug-socket has connections for 3 wire current mode (two for power and one for active 4-20mA current source output for the meter) plus one wire for active relay control - but the meter connection diagrams do not show how to connect this arrangement - only 2 wire and 4 wire.

So P? is sensor plug and X? is meter:

P1 to X1,

P3 to X2

P2 to X4

P4 is the relay output (active high wrt to P3/X2) - the RIA45 does not have a relay input so P4 remains unconnected.

The RIA45 does have two relay outputs - the two triplets of R? terminals top left at rear.

Please let me know how you get on.
Update. After some checks and head scratching I decided to supply sensor with a external 24v supply onto pin 1+ and 3- .
I then put the 4-20 mA pin 2 into x 4 and x8 back to - 24 V then it all worked .
So the RIA does not have enough output to supply sensor and my guess is that when mA increased it dropped voltage causing failure. It must therefore be only able to supply 2 wire or 4 wire sensors.
I wouldn't mind but the supplier said the RIA would power the sensor but obviously not the PTP 31B .
Tks for the replies , sure we are always learning something new , keeps the brain active.

Reply to Instrumentation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net