Discuss Insulated plasterboard advice in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tidy Max

Alreet chaps once again i am turning to here for advice!

I am hoping to plasterboard and skim our front bedroom this week but i am slightly unsure of which plasterboard to go for!

We live in a very old cottage with 9.6ft ceilings and basically the house is cold all the time. So i have been looking at kingspan backed plasterboard. Is it worth the money? I have seen the foil backed stuff but whenever i have seen this used on site its usually used in combination with some physical insulation like kingspan/ballytherm/space foil etc

Has anyone got any experience with this stuff? Or even recommend a cheap supplier to get it from! TP priced 25mm foam backed sheets at £42 cheapest.....

You're on the wrong forum kid. What you need is the insulated plasterboard/kingspan installers forum. It's got plenty members so they'll be able to help you no bother!!

Look up the thermal properties of kingspan and fibreglass insulation been the budget options and you will have your answer, the foil back has a very limited effect and next to useless on its own.

As said the foil back is generally used were damp is present ive used the insulation backed plasterboards they are a bit of a pain to work with as they are never true and flat with it being a old cottage how true and plum are the walls ? Mite fimd it easier to just stud work it and isulate and board troy

Use a firm called less2build and you can get the plasterboard and insulation separately and it is considerably cheaper than buying the sheets pre glued. Just screw the 50 mm kingspan to the joists then using 100 mm dry wall screws secure your plasterboard through the insulation into the joists. Building Control in my area insist on it being done in the method with 100 mm insulation between the joists

Thanks for the advice chaps.

The ceiling is flat and the room is much warmer! Lifted the boards across the front of the wall and put some kingspan inbetween the joists with expanding foam where the joists tie into the walls. Stopped the drafts completely. Thanks very much for the advice.

For the record i got 50mm kingspan (Jewsons equivalent) and used 100mm screws with washers to screw that to ceiling then used 8x4 sheets of tapered edge boards and over lapped the insulation so there were no edges matching (between the plasterboard and insulation). Then used 120mm screws to put the plasterboard up.

Then i just scrimmed and jointed the edges with easi fill, then obviously sanded and painted.

I only had one board snap clean over my head too!

Insulated plasterboard advice 20150102_192653 - EletriciansForums.net
Insulated plasterboard advice 20150103_173801 - EletriciansForums.net

and make sure you can find the cat.

If you use 25mm backed plasterboard make sure you don't over tighten the screws.

The kingspan acts like a spring over time and can pull the screw heads through the paper.

Reply to Insulated plasterboard advice in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock