Discuss insulation boxes for downlighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

james beckford

a quick question for any one who can give me a definitive answer please.

fitting downlighters in a new build house into bathroom ceiling with about 1m of insulation above.

Client has specified LED so no heat problems and i dont need insulation boxes to provide clearance HOWEVER leds could be replaced by halogens, do i need to install boxes as client has specified leds or can i go without?

If client later changes bulbs and puts halogens in and burns house down who's liable ?

Yes i can, i have the fold up galv steel boxes for the job but its 9 quid per d/lighter off the profit

can anyone confirm that i am correct in that i dont require the boxes with LEDS as no heat to dissipate ?

Are these downlighters not fire rated anyway?
If the loft space is directly above the bathroom you can get away with cutting around the insulation where the fittings are sited. As long as the loft is not boarded you will not need hoods or box covering. Refer to BPG 5 for guidance.

unfortunately cant just cut away insulation as then no longer meets current building regs. Thats what these steel boxes were invented for but a 9 quid a pop id rather not fit if i dont have to.

The lights themselves are firerated otherwise i would need a fire hood as well which in itself might be an interesting combination, fire hood and insulation box :confused5:

Cut insulation in a loft around a light fitting don't meet building regs since when? certainly dont if ya cover them with it. I stand corrected though if there is a stipulation mind.

Havent got the books to hand but in discussion with LABC was informed that the new regulations require the UNINTERRUPTED fitting of insulation throughout the entire roof void, this could be acheived either by fitting the solid typre board to underside of roof or the 350mm of normal type above ceiling but you cant cut holes in it, hence the steel boxes with air holes to go over the down lighters and then the insulation rolls back over the top of the box, boxes are either 220mm or 350mm deep depending on size of light fitting.

You should install the new lights to the manufacturers instructions and to BS 7671

IF the numpty of the home owner changes it later then its their problem. (If I get the feeling the homeowner is also a DIY bodger I take a few photos for my records)

Havent got the books to hand but in discussion with LABC was informed that the new regulations require the UNINTERRUPTED fitting of insulation throughout the entire roof void, this could be acheived either by fitting the solid typre board to underside of roof or the 350mm of normal type above ceiling but you cant cut holes in it, hence the steel boxes with air holes to go over the down lighters and then the insulation rolls back over the top of the box, boxes are either 220mm or 350mm deep depending on size of light fitting.
Interesting point that. Makes reasonable sense will bare it in mind for the future. I do know you can obviously cover the fitting if enclosed from above with a hood or box or if the fitting is specifically code marked for covering as stated in the green book.

Hi Murdoch, sorry probably wasnt being clear enough on that point, two glasses of mouton cadet after a long day,

as i said havent got green book to hand but reading it earlier i have to provide suitable protection against thermal effects ie dont start any fires, hence the question, if i use leds no heat to cause fire but do i have to install in such a way to protect against unqualified person changing his mind about the bulbs and putting halogens in later ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dan,

Standard fittings but with led bulbs

Hi Murdoch, sorry probably wasnt being clear enough on that point, two glasses of mouton cadet after a long day,

as i said havent got green book to hand but reading it earlier i have to provide suitable protection against thermal effects ie dont start any fires, hence the question, if i use leds no heat to cause fire but do i have to install in such a way to protect against unqualified person changing his mind about the bulbs and putting halogens in later ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dan,

Standard fittings but with led bulbs

Cool!

I still think you can't spend your time allowing for numpty DIYer's making changes later.

thats what i thought but knowing what the litigation brigade would make of the case should the worst happen didnt want to leave myself open.
I think the solution is not fit the boxes but give the client a set of instructions about what type of bulbs can be fitted and get him to sign a copy as read and understood, 10pence worth of paper and ink against 150 quid off profit for the job

People still confusing fire rated downlights with the need to keep insulation away from the back of downlights.

The fire rating of downlights refers only to their ability to slow down the rate of fire progression through the light fitting..
The intumescent strip expands on contact with high temps and seals the hole to prevent further fire progression. They are to be fitted when penetrating an "existing" fire barrier with light fittings.

They are JUST as likely to overheat and cause a fire if you cover them with insulation.

Fitting fire rated downlights does not absolve you from sorting out the insulation above.

nick a few shopping baskets from tesco. place inverted over downlights. insulation on t6op of baskets.:punk:

edit: make sure to earth the baskets.

Last edited:
IMO its quite simple, if continuous insulation is a requirement then you have 3 options.....1) no down lights, 2) fit downlights which can be covered by insulation (NOT JUST FIRE RATED), 3) use the box/cover............option 2 would be quite expensive, so I would opt for option 3..however, sod the £9 metal boxes, just get some plaster board and cut it into sections so that it covers each downlight and screw it on cieling joists either side, creating a bridge for the insulation..hey presto sorted

dome a house recently where they put that insulation board 100mm thick in rafters, when putting downlights in here do you just bore right through it, which in turn breaks u values specified,

Reply to insulation boxes for downlighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock