Discuss Insulation resistance help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm still a newbie but here goes.
as part of my Elecsa assessment I have changed the outlaws 1970's Fuse board to a new 17th edition cu.
the wiring is still original as well. Due to equipment that I cannot get to or remove I bridged the line to cpc and tested between that and neutral. On all the circuits results were between 230 to 1200 M ohms.
is this still a pass and what would be expected of 40yr old cable or am I doing something wrong.

Why not link L and N and carry out an IR test @240v between LN to E.

I'm still a newbie but here goes.
as part of my Elecsa assessment I have changed the outlaws 1970's Fuse board to a new 17th edition cu.
the wiring is still original as well. Due to equipment that I cannot get to or remove I bridged the line to cpc and tested between that and neutral. On all the circuits results were between 230 to 1200 M ohms.
is this still a pass and what would be expected of 40yr old cable or am I doing something wrong.

so you still managed to bang 500V d.c. across L and N.

If the results are in M ohms then there's not an issue.

You should buy, read and understand GN3 for guidance on what readings you should expect when testing.

I do have GN3, however when I done my course everything was new and readings were always >2000 M ohms,

I'm just asking if these readings are about right for old wiring and when inspected by Elecsa will they allow the results.

230M ohms is good for old wiring , but tell me what test equipment are you using to get 1200M ohms , i use Robin/fluke and I get max of 500M ohms only , over that is infinity ..

Sorry for the typo. I joined the line to neutral bar and tested between line/ neutral and cpc.

My kt65 measures I'm M ohms so 230 was in M ohms

What does BS 7671:2008 (2013) or BS 7671:2008 (2015) say on the matter? That is your answer.

I do have GN3, however when I done my course everything was new and readings were always >2000 M ohms,

I'm just asking if these readings are about right for old wiring and when inspected by Elecsa will they allow the results.

The answer you are looking for is contained within GN3

230M ohms is good for old wiring , but tell me what test equipment are you using to get 1200M ohms , i use Robin/fluke and I get max of 500M ohms only , over that is infinity ..

I am using a kewtech kt65dt 8in1 tester. I believe it goes to > 2000m ohms
thanks to those that have been helpful.
Gn3 does not tell you what to expect with older wiring. So some of the more derogatory comments are not helpful, as I said I'm still a newbie and I'm sure you were all at that stage once!

Reply to Insulation resistance help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net