Discuss Insulation resistance Live to Earth on lighting circuit dead short in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, Tested a lighting circuit recently and got live to earth dead short and neutral to earth dead short on insulation resistance all loads were still connected there was a fluorescent fitting on the circuit and signs of green goo in switches and ceiling roses and the MCB was not tripping. Do you think a load would give me a dead short between live and earth like the fluorescent fitting ?

further investigation required. dis circuit completely from CU and start again. with loads in circuit a L-E will affect N-E asnd vice versa.

- - - Updated - - -

dammn it, wirepuller . faster fingers. LOL.:63:

They want me to rewire the circuit anyway so I had to leave the light on the non Rcd side to re-energise it but they don't want it re-wired until may - so I told them I cant sign it off until its re-wired. What would you do in this situation ?

They want me to rewire the circuit anyway so I had to leave the light on the non Rcd side to re-energise it but they don't want it re-wired until may - so I told them I cant sign it off until its re-wired. What would you do in this situation ?

Rarely takes long to trace a N-E on a lighting circuit.....but it's probably been there for years anyway.....your call.

Why pay you to rewire the circuit, why not pay you to find the fault? It'll probably be cheaper, I'm surprised you didn't suggest that mate

I did offer that but they want the whole house re-wired as they have got green goo dripping from a lot of accessories and the lighting is lacking cpc's. I think ill send them a danger notice to cover my arse. Just a quick question how dangerous is a neutral to earth fault ?????

Lillyrose I will presume you are not that experienced,at either testing or fault finding,why not try and find the fault on a pay as you succeed deal

There is danger whenever a system is at fault and whatever that fault happens to be
Its best to start as you would be expected to go on,get the problem sorted,then move on, rather than trying to explain it away on a bit of paper

how can there be a N-E fault when there's no cpc??????? or have i missed something???

Lilyrose08, I assume you insulation resistance tested the circuit while it was still connected to the board. If it was on a TN-CS system then you would have got a reading through the components of the light fitting and the pme link. So there might not be a fault at all. Did you disconnect the neutral and earth at the board before you did the test?

Reply to Insulation resistance Live to Earth on lighting circuit dead short in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net