Discuss insulation resistance problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

essexboy

hi

just done a insulation resistance test on upstairs ring and got the following results

P-N >299Mohms
P-E >299Mohms

N-E>0.26Mohms ??????

as you can see the N-E result is unacceptable can anybody shed a bit of light on what the problem could be or how to find out where the cause of the low resisatnce reading is...

thanks for your replys :confused:

did you test the ring at socket or at ccu? did you remove the neutral and earth from the board to do test?

thanks for your responses

the earthing system is tn-s but the test was done at the ccu end on the upstairs ring circuit only not through the meter tails .2 fused spurs feeding shower pump and tail rail were isolated there is no other vulnerable equipment on the circuit so tested between L-N ,L-E ,N-E

???

yes paul both all conductors of both ends of the ring were removed from the board

not sure but could it be the fused spurs are only single pole and your getting a reading through neutral earth that way, or did you physically disconnect the pumps as well?
failed socket outlet somewhere?
something somewhere still plugged in, tv amps, etc etc

hope you get it sorted matey

go to what you think would be furthest away from board and split the ring will narrow it down, prev post about single pole could be it or maybe a trapped cable etc

go to what you think would be furthest away from board and split the ring will narrow it down, prev post about single pole could be it or maybe a trapped cable etc

Divide & conquer :D
My money is on a doubled up neutral in backbox thats been nicked by plate screw.

but did you remove the cpc and neutral from the board to do test?

as a side issue you cant do that anymore

17th says insulation test between live conductors and the cpc connected to the means of earthing:confused:

cant think why, but hey, there it is its in the regs.:eek:

17th says insulation test between live conductors and the cpc connected to the means of earthing:confused:

ok leave the cpc connected but take the neutral and phase out
go with easy fox ,divide up and find the trapped wire /nicked wire (known it to be caught in capping before now)

Hi Shakey

do you know the reg number on that one. is it just for rings or all circuits.

thanks in advance

couldn't find my regs book before. i was just reading christopher kitchers book. p57 he says disconnect neutral or cpc.
found my regs book 612.3.1 ,can't see why, whichever is easiest would seem logical.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
At what voltage do you guys do insulation resistance checks at? When I get a really low reading like posted when I do them, I can't help but to think that I might have just blown up someone's television or computer accidentally. I never have, but my mind races for a few minutes, thinking like that. We check domestic wiring at the US typically at 500 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to unplug everything then test at 250v as this at least gives an indication of anything still plugged in thats hidden away. If the reading is ok at 250v I bang 500v round the circuit.

Hidden items I've come across in the past:

fcu + neon behind cookerhood
Floods spured off ring final with fcu's in loft space (blew a pir on security light last week when meggered circuit :()
Tv amp in loft (either off the lighting circuit or ring)
Plug in air freshner behind bed
Tube heater in toilet taken off ring to fcu
Fitted appliances in kitchen no isolator above worktop.
Oven plugged into ringfinal.
Spur from ring final out to greenhouse feeding heaters/lights

I tend to unplug everything then test at 250v as this at least gives an indication of anything still plugged in thats hidden away. If the reading is ok at 250v I bang 500v round the circuit.

Hidden items I've come across in the past:

fcu + neon behind cookerhood
Floods spured off ring final with fcu's in loft space (blew a pir on security light last week when meggered circuit :()
Tv amp in loft (either off the lighting circuit or ring)
Plug in air freshner behind bed
Tube heater in toilet taken off ring to fcu
Fitted appliances in kitchen no isolator above worktop.
Oven plugged into ringfinal.
Spur from ring final out to greenhouse feeding heaters/lights

Easyfox old chap

thats exactly what i teach my students to do,
and 612.3.2 specifically allows you to do it:D

Reply to insulation resistance problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock