Discuss Insulation resistance test on a ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mak

-
Reaction score
Might be trivial question. My understanding is that we test on either leg of the ring since both legs make up a radial, but some say they test both legs at once, i.e. LL to NN, it would make sense if the other leg is not insulated since this is a live test, but I don't see why not if the other leg is "wago-ed".

if you disconnect both L and N from DB, all you have then is 1 long radial.testing either end of L or N to E will give you your IR readings. you can test L-N as long as nothing is connected.

some say they test both legs at once, i.e. LL to NN, it would make sense if the other leg is not insulated since this is a live test.

It is not a live test, it is a dead test. The IR test is performed with the circuit isolated (dead).

As long as you have proved ring continuity before doing the IR test then it does not matter if you connect to one L or both etc

I know it's a test done on an deenergized board/circuit but you still send 500V through the circuit so it's kind of live.
IT'S a dead test Mate, voltage is applied not sent through

Sorry mate, I'm not a linguistics engineer, what's the principal difference between "sending" and "applying" in this context.
Volts don't flow. are not sent anywhere, they are a pressure that is applied to a circuit to put it in Layman's terms.

So you virtually can't get a shock from it?
What makes you think you wont get a belt from an insulation tester probably set at 500V dc, put it another way don't grab hold of the IR test leads when Applying the voltage.

Did you not cover Potential Difference and Current flow during your training?

Being a dead test means the the supply to the circuit is isolated, switched OFF, as you would in any dead test, never had the pleasure of some Sparky telling you to " hang on to these leads a second Mate please and pressing the test button, or in my Apprentice days winding the handle on an IR tester?

No I guess not. Makes yer eyes water a bit, and wakes you up, frowned upon these days though,

Last edited:
What makes you think you wont get a belt from an insulation tester probably set at 500V dc, put it another way don't grab hold of the IR test leads when Applying the voltage, did you not cover Potential Difference and Current flow during your training?
Maybe I did or maybe the training these days is rubbish. I guess my question is how big is the current while performing the test, if it's not considered to be a live test then the current must be very little...

Maybe I did or maybe the training these days is rubbish. I guess my question is how big is the current while performing the test, if it's not considered to be a live test then the current must be very little...
Enough to make you jump and drop things.
[automerge]1596717083[/automerge]

It's a dead test because the circuit being tested is not energised when the tester is connected. Yes, the yesterday itself puts a voltage across the conductors, but the system does not.

This may help you understandhttp://www.-----------.co.uk/Inspection-and-Testing-Insulation-Resistance-Test.php
As may this site

Yes that's plain to see.

Reply to Insulation resistance test on a ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net