Discuss Insulation Resistance testing - again! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kind of related to the above thread.
I am doing the 2391 practical tommorow, to speed up my testing on a rig is there a problem with doing the Insulaion testing prior to the continuity for the Periodic?
Yes, if you don't know that you have continuity of conductors how would you know that your IR test is testing all of the circuit?

Its still a periodic inspection and test but you use the EICR to make the report.
I know you need to do it in order for new installations but I don't think you need a particular order for the periodic, I was just trying to figure out if I would be penalised for trying to do the IR on the motor circuit first when I connect across the switch.

The sequence of tests is logically formatted so you find any faults before moving onto the next test. If you did IR before continuity you would have to do the IR again if you found a break in a circuit and rectified it, saves you doing things twice.

Its still a periodic inspection and test but you use the EICR to make the report.
I know you need to do it in order for new installations but I don't think you need a particular order for the periodic, I was just trying to figure out if I would be penalised for trying to do the IR on the motor circuit first when I connect across the switch.
Don't confuse EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate--on first install) with EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report--subsequent test).

Generally, the hybrid nature of the 2391 test rig would mean that you do continuity before IR. However, on a real job, where you know everything is working beforehand then you would be interested in the Zs, without disconnecting all the circuits. So its justifiable to IR test and then Zs.

Generally, the hybrid nature of the 2391 test rig would mean that you do continuity before IR. However, on a real job, where you know everything is working beforehand then you would be interested in the Zs, without disconnecting all the circuits. So its justifiable to IR test and then Zs.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will do the continuity first to be on the safe side.

Just because its all working does not mean you have continuity of protective conductor which is what you test for.
As stated earlier, done in logical sequence so we dont have to redo earlier tests if a fault is found

Just because its all working does not mean you have continuity of protective conductor which is what you test for.
As stated earlier, done in logical sequence so we dont have to redo earlier tests if a fault is found

In most cases it does. Once you know that the MPB's are Ok then a Zs is perfectly acceptable for each circuit. (Perhaps not so with domestic installations where the Numpties roam).

I often find cpcs are cross linked to other circuit cpcs so your R1 + R2 wouldn't give you specific circuit readings, and if you did disconnect everything you would have the hassle of reconnection at each point of separation of the cpcs.

You'll be spending week on a days worth of work if you chose to undo everything just to get your R1+R2 readings.

So its often better to get a R2 reading coupled with Ze and Zs

Reply to Insulation Resistance testing - again! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock