Discuss Insulation resistance testing with no cpc in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigbaddave

When doing a CU change and lights have no cpc. Every room has class 2 dimmers and lights. ceilings are like 20 foot tall. How would you guys go about Insulation testing? L&n to cpc ain't an option and removing all lights and bypassing dimmers is consequently going to take some time... What would you do? Alternitavly ill quote for the time it will take to to do it properly! Basic n-cpc for initial test came back at 67.9m oam

"Apparently they are awaiting on inheritance and will have lights rewired when it comes through"

obviously with a note on the cert. and a sticker on the CU. i meant the N/A would be entered on the sotr.

you can still do ins. res. tests between L & N upto the switches with the switches in the off position.
i would at least do that than no tests at all.

Do the IR test on 250v DC with the dimmer still in the on position. You just need to make a note that you did this because of that reason.

However, that's lazy so just disconnect the dimmers..

The fact that there is no CPC is not really a good enough excuse for not conducting an IR test.
Yes where there is sensitive equipment which could be liable to damage, testing between the live conductors and the CPC is acceptable.
However in this instance, there is no CPC available.
As such you sould just bite the bullet and disconnect or link out the sensitive equipment.
As for the lamps creating a short.
They don't create a short if they are removed.

The fact that there is no CPC is not really a good enough excuse for not conducting an IR test.
Yes where there is sensitive equipment which could be liable to damage, testing between the live conductors and the CPC is acceptable.
However in this instance, there is no CPC available.
As such you sould just bite the bullet and disconnect or link out the sensitive equipment.
As for the lamps creating a short.
They don't create a short if they are removed.

no but they create a bit of a bang when you drop them off the top of your stepladder.

At the very least, take out the bulbs and link out any dimmers. If there's no CPC the IR could be terrible and you need to know this.

why do say that lives joined together and test to cpc is not an option, the cpc if it was present would be connected to the MET to include any parallel earths, the joining together of the line and neutral affords the protection for vulnerable equipment, if the I/R test is ok to the MET then no problem, it would then just be a case of checking that all fittings etc are Class 2 at present and advising on a lighting rewire in the future which you have already done

When doing a CU change and lights have no cpc. Every room has class 2 dimmers and lights. ceilings are like 20 foot tall. How would you guys go about Insulation testing? L&n to cpc ain't an option and removing all lights and bypassing dimmers is consequently going to take some time... What would you do? Alternitavly ill quote for the time it will take to to do it properly! Basic n-cpc for initial test came back at 67.9m oam

"Apparently they are awaiting on inheritance and will have lights rewired when it comes through"

If you are doing a ccu change you have to issue an electrical installation certificate. This means that the installation must comply with current requirements,meaning, apart from anything else, you lighting ccts must have a cpc. Rather wait until the inheritance comes through and do a proper rewire

I would not be happy leaving IR cos of dimmers and height. I would choc block instead of dimmers and remove lamps. IR L-MET , N-MET and L-N, wires disconnected at board.

Even with the lack of a CPC on any particular circuit I would still be testing between L-E and N-E. When conducting IR tests it's called earth for a reason, we're not meggering the CPC, we're meggering the earth, ie. from the line conductor to the earth bar or MET and the same for the neutral conductor. What if somewhere on a circuit with no CPC the cable has been damaged enough through whatever means so that one or other of the conductors are in connection with an exposed or extraneous conductive part? Or what if there's a nice fat screw through the cable linking it to another circuit? In my humble opinion, there's a multitude of reasons why we should still be conducting the IR tests as required.

Last edited:
If you are doing a ccu change you have to issue an electrical installation certificate. This means that the installation must comply with current requirements,meaning, apart from anything else, you lighting ccts must have a cpc. Rather wait until the inheritance comes through and do a proper rewire

Not true, The work you do must comply.. You can advice that a cpc / partial rewire is necessary but if thats declined then providing class 2 fittings are used then id be happy to sign it off. Providing of course no further faults were found

This would mean every job that a cert was issued for would be a pricey job wouldnt it.. Carnt insist every install is brought up to current regulations

Reply to Insulation resistance testing with no cpc in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock