Discuss Insulation Resistance... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am just working through my understanding of the insulation resistance test, and I want to find out the best way to do the combined Live-Earth test where the Line and Neutral conductors are connected (joined, or however it is best described) through one probe of the tester, and the other probe is connected to the Earth conductor (or terminal).

I have seen a few videos on you tube, one where a guy is using a Megger (but with an older probe attached) to combine the Line and Neutral, where he puts a croc clip on the Neutral and then clips the other end to his tester probe which is then on the Line, thus creating the link. Of course, the other probe is then on the Earth. This seems logical, but I am using a Kewtech KT63 which doesn't give much on the end of the probe to connect a croc clip to it. Just wondering if there is another accepted way out in the field of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Welcome to the forums.

I usually swap the probe for a croc clip and put both the line and neutral conductors in the clip and then clip the other probe to the earth bar.

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds logical of course yes. But, I was curious as to whether there is a way to do it without the need of having to disconnect any of the Live conductors from the terminals? I recall now, that is why the guy on you tube was doing it that way, as he was making the point that once you have done your continuity tests, it makes sense not to want to be disconnect conductors (ideally) from a workflow perspective. I appreciate some may just say, 'don't be lazy, it's no big deal just disconnect the conductors', but I was just curious of what methods are out there.

Thanks again for your help.

The test is only valid if the cpc is connected to the main earthing terminal, and the live conductors are disconnected. Even with the Rcbo and main switch switched off if you leave the neutral connected you would be doing a partly global ir test rather than just one circuit.

I've heard other people say about leaving the cpc connected when doing ir test.
I was taught it needed disconnecting also.
What is the reason behind this? And am I the only one doing it this way? Was I trained wrong?

What is the reason behind this? And am I the only one doing it this way? Was I trained wrong?
if youtest just the cable with it's cpc notconnected in CU, then you are just testing the cable.with the cpc connected to earth and hence to the bonding, the IR test will find any breakdown between the cable L and N to extraneous metalwork or a cpc in another circuit.

I was curious as to whether there is a way to do it without the need of having to disconnect any of the Live conductors from the terminals?

Only if you are testing an RCBO circuit with a switched neutral.
They're fairly uncommon though, as are hideously expensive, when compared to their cousins with a solid neutral.

643.3.1 clearly states the test shall be carried out with the protective conductor connected to the earthing arrangement.

Kewtech do a small set of test leads you can interconnect conductors. However, the set I got introduced a high resistance into the test. Put down to the chromed croc clips. I’ve read others didn’t have same issue.

The Kewtech probes are detachable from the their leads, then you can attach the supplied croc clip to the lead to connect both L & N together.

Had a fault once on new install where a plumber had kindly screwed through a cable when fitting a rad. The screw had only made contact with the live and then into the fabric of the building (brick) IR testing showed up the fault, however, when I removed the cpc from the earth bar the fault dissappeared. The fault path was presumably through building fabric, metal backboxes and back, probably via socket circuit as it was local to the fault. 1 reason to leave cpcs connected when testing IR.

Test between live conductors and live conductors and earth. If the cpc is not connected to the means of earthing then the test is not being carried out between live conductors and “Earth”. :)

What would be your reason for disconnecting the cpc?
Because I want to know the IR of the circuit conductors, not the IR of every CPC, bonding conductor, earthing conductor, washing machine, dishwasher, toaster, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, water pipes, gas pipes and whatever else is connected to the earthing system.

Reply to Insulation Resistance... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net