Discuss insulation test before fitting an rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regs

-
Reaction score
I thought the insulation resistance test before fitting an rcd was for nuisance tripping not to see if you had over 1 M.O. Regardless how low the reading as long as its not going to cause nuisance tripping then you are only adding to the safety of the installation surley

I thought the insulation resistance test before fitting an rcd was for nuisance tripping not to see if you had over 1 M.O. Regardless how low the reading as long as its not going to cause nuisance tripping then you are only adding to the safety of the installation surley

What?

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. If you have an IR of anywhere near 2 M.O IMO it needs/warrants investigation/rectification.

I'm not sure what fitting an RCD has got to do with IR testing...RCD's are only for additional protection.......Actually i'll stop, because i'm rabbiting now, i genuinley have no idea what you're on about so please clarify/re-write your OP and we can help you :)

This test and others that you should perform beforehand are not just to avoid problems with tripping,they are also about covering yourself,if you work on an installation and then there is an issue and someone gets hurt it could be you in the dock,then try and explain why you didn't test.Last week I went to a commercial job to change a board,the supply cable was replaced 20 years ago and the install has been worked on since,however it would appear that I was the only one to test it as there was no earth,this was traced to a missing link in the cut out(pme).What annoyed me was not only had succesive sparks never tested it but neither had the dno when the feed was fitted.

This test and others that you should perform beforehand are not just to avoid problems with tripping,they are also about covering yourself,if you work on an installation and then there is an issue and someone gets hurt it could be you in the dock,then try and explain why you didn't test.Last week I went to a commercial job to change a board,the supply cable was replaced 20 years ago and the install has been worked on since,however it would appear that I was the only one to test it as there was no earth,this was traced to a missing link in the cut out(pme).What annoyed me was not only had succesive sparks never tested it but neither had the dno when the feed was fitted.

This is my point though, if customer says i don't have extra cash to investigate a low insulation reading & correct it. Then do you a)still fit the rcd or b)Walk from job
My point is i would do (a) as you are making the installation safer, so my point is the insulation resistance test is surely really only for nuisance tripping.

point A check circuits etc are safe before you do any work as it becomes your problem, b people will do some crazy things to stop nuisance tripping especially if they have no money so would you be making it safer

134.2.1 of the good book tells you what you must achieve when adding too or altering an installation,it tells you how it can be achieved by test and inspection

The insulation resistance test is part of a series of tests that will verify if the standard has been complied with when adding or altering an installation

If you were to fit a consumer unit with an RCD (made an alteration to an existing installation)then the recomendations for the integrity of the insulation resistance of that installation (by comparing values with what is written in the good book )they can be verified as complying with the standard and the values that are suggested

You could even have earth leakage sufficient enough on an installation, that could trip an Rcd whether the insulation resistance was good bad or terrible
The test you are questioning is only one way of giving indication if there is system fault that would likely cause the Rcd to trip if it was fitted

The values that people have been referring too, are relevant when adding or altering an installation and initial verification,they are relevant for all work that you carry out

This is my point though, if customer says i don't have extra cash to investigate a low insulation reading & correct it. Then do you a)still fit the rcd or b)Walk from job
My point is i would do (a) as you are making the installation safer, so my point is the insulation resistance test is surely really only for nuisance tripping.

I was only mentioning him in the 'pub' area today aswell - but im starting to think you're maybe a 'mini-cockburn' Regs....(sorry for the insult) However, you are getting lost in your own ideas here & over complicating matters.

If a customer doesn't want to pay for a job to be done properly, that is completley there problem - and if it's againts regs/wrong/dangerous, you write them a letter and keep a copy of the letter for your own file - but if its really dangerous you lock it off and then they don't use the said circuit. You can't go around slutting yourself for people who don't want to slap out the cash. There is a reason we spent years training to be electricians, and that is to do a decent job and get paid a decent amount in return for our professional services.

I was only mentioning him in the 'pub' area today aswell - but im starting to think you're maybe a 'mini-cockburn' Regs....(sorry for the insult) However, you are getting lost in your own ideas here & over complicating matters.

If a customer doesn't want to pay for a job to be done properly, that is completley there problem - and if it's againts regs/wrong/dangerous, you write them a letter and keep a copy of the letter for your own file - but if its really dangerous you lock it off and then they don't use the said circuit. You can't go around slutting yourself for people who don't want to slap out the cash. There is a reason we spent years training to be electricians, and that is to do a decent job and get paid a decent amount in return for our professional services.
Very good analogy!

We can't all be electrical experts and there is no wonder at all that there are so many bad trades people when you can't ask questions. If you find some questions basic or whatever then stop reading posts or replying, i don't remember holding a gun to anyone's head!. It doesn't make you look big writing some sarcastic answers.
Thanks to the other whom were constructive for the reply's.

We can't all be electrical experts and there is no wonder at all that there are so many bad trades people when you can't ask questions. If you find some questions basic or whatever then stop reading posts or replying, i don't remember holding a gun to anyone's head!. It doesn't make you look big writing some sarcastic answers.

22 posts to his name and the toys have been thrown out of the pram. You'll need thicker skin out in the big world matey.

Nobody is an electrical expert mate, and nobody here is pretending to be.

Maybe the Cockburn reference was slightly sarcastic, and in which i appologise - i just feel the hole thread is slightly confusing at best.

I agree, we all have to learn from somewhere / someone. Its better to ask and look silly than not ask and balls it up!!!

I agree, we all have to learn from somewhere / someone. Its better to ask and look silly than not ask and balls it up!!!

Looking back at the wording of his questions now, i can maybe see he's not up to scratch with the game.

However, all he had to do was state that he was an a trainee and/or post the question in the relevant forum for a totally different outcome to the thread.

Appologies.

Looking back at the wording of his questions now, i can maybe see he's not up to scratch with the game.

However, all he had to do was state that he was an a trainee and/or post the question in the relevant forum for a totally different outcome to the thread.

Appologies.

Another lesson learned to add to his list of "lessons learned":cheesy:

Nobody is an electrical expert mate, and nobody here is pretending to be.

Maybe the Cockburn reference was slightly sarcastic, and in which i appologise - i just feel the hole thread is slightly confusing at best.

Apology accepted, if i go to this other learners section or whatever will i still get decent advice? new to whole forum thing

Study up mate....................

Doing an IR test has absolutely nothing to do with fitting an RCD............read the replies then go away and digest:)

I know that. I just read on some forum that it was good practise to do an insulation test before fitting an rcd, i assumed it was for nuisance tripping!. After getting several replies and trying to decipher, my understanding now is its good practice to test anything before leaving your signature on it. Why people go round and round the houses on these forums is beyond me. Some simple answers would be so greatly appreciated, not just to myself. I've come to the simple conclusion that people are just way to quick to put the boot in!
They can try score as many points as they want, as mentioned above i would rather look silly and try get it right.......

Reply to insulation test before fitting an rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net