Discuss Insulation Testing Conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys

Domestic - Old Hager Box 14 MCBs RCD Main Switch. Totally stuffed with wiring - not keen to disturb

Tested the Full L+N busbars to E. IR = 1.8 Meg b****r! So close to 2 Meg!

Tried L busbar to E -all trips off. 1.8 Meg!!!!!!!!! - had to disconnect RCD!

Tried each cct in turn L to E. Five of them reduce IR to about 1.8 Meg. Obviously a nonsence!

I'm theorising that one cct has a low IR Earth to Neutral and I'm seeing feedback through these other ccts which may have something connected/switched on.

Is the only way that I'm going to solve this problem going to be to disconnect the Neutrals one at a time to try and find a cct with low IR?

Cheers
Pete

Sorry mate if this is not what you wanted to hear, but you need to IR test each circuit separately. Remove or isolate all loads. Initially, test each isolated circuit one at a time with the neutrals commoned. Only if your results still suggest a common fault to several circuits would you need to separate the neutrals and retest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 1.8meg, on the whole installation, is due to resistances in parallel. You will have to disconnect each circuit as stated earlier, and see what effect that has. With 14 circuits, my best guess is that if you do them individually your readings will come back into spec at 2 meg plus. If one circuit is low and pulling down your resistance total value, then you will find it fairly easily.

Cheers............Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Insulation Testing Conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock