Discuss Insurance and epilepsy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok so here's one for you, asking on behalf of a friend, I know in the UK the work equality act stops people being discriminated against for health conditions and such, but if someone was to have Epilepsy (not very frequent seizures maybe once a year but still the diagnosis exists) would there be trouble getting said person onto the Insurance? My friend volunteered to work for free for experience at a firm and they said they would still have to add him to the insurance (obviously) for him to carry out work, but I'm pretty sure he would legally have to mention his condition. Are the insurance likely to reject adding him to the policy or blow it through the roof to the point the firm would understandably refuse to hire him?

If the Insurance ask about medical conditions and Epilepsy is one of the questions, then yes they would have to answer.
Refusing to employ someone with a medical condition that could put themselves or others in danger is not discrimination.
If it was then you'd see people in wheelchairs working on Scaffolding.

If the Insurance ask about medical conditions and Epilepsy is one of the questions, then yes they would have to answer.
Refusing to employ someone with a medical condition that could put themselves or others in danger is not discrimination.
If it was then you'd see people in wheelchairs working on Scaffolding.
So in your opinion would he be unlikely to be successful in that particular career with such a condition? Through not being able to find steady employment not through lack of skill obviously

The insurance company would probably put a condition of no working above ground allowed, I have in the past employed someone with Epilepsy and that was the only condition, very difficult to implement and monitor, but do not hide the condition.

DPG posts overlapped.

The insurance company would probably put a condition of no working above ground allowed, I have in the past employed someone with Epilepsy and that was the only condition, very difficult to implement and monitor, but do not hide the condition.

DPG posts overlapped.
Oh Ofcourse he wouldn’t hide it incase the worse happened, the NHS would obviously be like “he’s had this for years” but I’m wondering if it will stop him getting through the door in the first place it would be a shame that’s all

Reply to Insurance and epilepsy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net