Discuss insurance not paying up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris222

A couple of years ago I done a pir on a resturant about 6 Weeks ago the restaurant put in an insurance claim for water damage to a ceiling . all,relevant paperwork was sent in insurance have wrote back informing restaurant that they won't be paying for the claim as . as a Napit approved contractor does not count as a iee/nic/eic however surely an,approved contractor may it be Nic Napit elecsa eca must be able to carry out eicrs for insurance purposes

The Restuaranter needs to ask the Insurance which clause states he must use a IEE/NICEIC contractor?

I'd bet its not stated and they are trying it on so they don't have to pay out.

Anyway, whats a water leak got to do with an electrical PIR?

Lost here, whats water damage to do with a PIR , even it is an electric shower - And yes a lot of insurance companies insist on the NICEIC .

Allot of insurance companies ask for NICEIC approved sparks only!!! Im not saying this is right, in fact its a total disgrace and must be breaking the law somewhere but thats how it is...just to add, I dont agree with it!! Aslong as you are compatent and can prove it, then there should be no probs.....but as I said....they do useually ask for NICEIC!!

The Restuaranter needs to ask the Insurance which clause states he must use a IEE/NICEIC contractor?

I'd bet its not stated and they are trying it on so they don't have to pay out.

Anyway, whats a water leak got to do with an electrical PIR?

Beat me to it lol.

it's restrictive practice and technically, they are breaking the law.

well I only found out today so the restaurant kinda,saying to me to do something I said they just trying to get out of paying up and the funny thing is it's a bloody water leak

I'm completely lost here.

You did an inspection, at some time in the past (that bit I get).

Was the inspection asked for because of the water leak, or is someone trying to sat that the leak was caused by your inspection?

Is money owed to you, or the restaurant?

Challenge the insurance company directly I have done this on a number of occasions and won a reasoned argument with them. They will always demand NICEIC and NACOSS as these are seen as the main players and an easy get out but providing competence can be proved they tend to back down.

Tell the Restaurant owner to call the Insurer and inform that they will be receiving a letter from his solicitor demanding the claim be settled within 14 days or they are in breach of contract, at that point he will instruct his solicitor to compile paperwork to request a Judicial Review of their decision in the High Court.

The Insurance company will s**t a brick in all likelihood because they know that the majority of people are unaware private individuals are able to do this for this type of problem and are scared off by huge legal bills. They will know that a Judge will review the details of the case and then decide to either hear the case themselves or call a panel of three Judges if they feel it warrants it, as as this would have such a massive impact I bet they would. The decision of the Judges will be final in all reality because they are clearly in breach of contractual law by insisting on an NICEIC registered company because they do not have that right, they can only insist on a company that is certified by an acceptable trade body, and NAPIT is most certainly that.

Don't take prisoners and blow them apart.

For what it's worth i had a problem many years ago with a London Borough who refused to give me a permit to park my car outside my home, because I was appealing a yellow box ticket after I was stranded to make way for an Ambulance on Blues and Twos. After thousands in tickets had accumulated and they towed the car away numerous times I was advised to go down the route above..

I won £104,000 in costs, loss of earnings, compensation and "mental anguish". The Council not only lost, but three of their staff were so scathingly attacked by the Judge that they were sacked, including the parking manager, and two managers from NCP who managed the parking and the pound services for the council.

Little Fish can win against sharks if you know how to hit hard.

that's made my day. the little man winning against the establishment. just proves if you've got the balls to take the buggers on, you can win. well done.

Tell the Restaurant owner to call the Insurer and inform that they will be receiving a letter from his solicitor demanding the claim be settled within 14 days or they are in breach of contract, at that point he will instruct his solicitor to compile paperwork to request a Judicial Review of their decision in the High Court.

The Insurance company will s**t a brick in all likelihood because they know that the majority of people are unaware private individuals are able to do this for this type of problem and are scared off by huge legal bills. They will know that a Judge will review the details of the case and then decide to either hear the case themselves or call a panel of three Judges if they feel it warrants it, as as this would have such a massive impact I bet they would. The decision of the Judges will be final in all reality because they are clearly in breach of contractual law by insisting on an NICEIC registered company because they do not have that right, they can only insist on a company that is certified by an acceptable trade body, and NAPIT is most certainly that.

Don't take prisoners and blow them apart.

For what it's worth i had a problem many years ago with a London Borough who refused to give me a permit to park my car outside my home, because I was appealing a yellow box ticket after I was stranded to make way for an Ambulance on Blues and Twos. After thousands in tickets had accumulated and they towed the car away numerous times I was advised to go down the route above..

I won £104,000 in costs, loss of earnings, compensation and "mental anguish". The Council not only lost, but three of their staff were so scathingly attacked by the Judge that they were sacked, including the parking manager, and two managers from NCP who managed the parking and the pound services for the council.

Little Fish can win against sharks if you know how to hit hard.

Not just a pretty face are you:wink:.

This is worth remembering.

no they had a leak recently..but insurance being insurance want electric certs canopy certs gas certs etc etc what I'm saying is they had one because I put down my Napit membership they not.paying the claim because simply not Nic I think it's a kick in the teeth to any contractor who ,choses not to go with Nic

no they had a leak recently..but insurance being insurance want electric certs canopy certs gas certs etc etc what I'm saying is they had one because I put down my Napit membership they not.paying the claim because simply not Nic I think it's a kick in the teeth to any contractor who ,choses not to go with Nic

And illegal i believe ?
Get on to Napit and see what they have to say , i think they have actually got someone on staff who's job it is to fire one into the likes of this insurance company !

I am not the greatest fan of napit (or any of the blood suckers , for that mater !) even though we are members of them , but it should be a level playing field for all !!!

Having said that so should the membership requirements ? But that is another story !!! :nonod:

If your employed by a insurance company the first ule is we don't want to pay out and they can save a fortune on scare tactics.... its only the cost of a stamp to them and as outspoken has said challenge them personally they cant discriminate between any of the established bodies and you just explain to them that Napit has discussed this situation with you that deformation if not slander can be contested here as your with a recognised body they can put preferences in their paperwork but can't refute a claim if your with a equally recognised body..... WHOOOP ARSE!!!....

PS they will try everything under the sun to convince you they are correct but do your research first even state you intend to go to the ombudsman regarding their failed claim and don't show weakness ..... i did this with the local council as they said that contractors had to NICEIC approved and i contended it as other bodies were recognised too and they couldn't legally pick and choose... i couldn't prove i didn't get the job because of my conversation but with an insurance company its a different ball game as it all written in paperwork that they are breaking the law.

Although they may have worded it in the agreement they will subsequently have to prove that other schemes don't meet the standards of the NICEIC and as they all sing from the same hymn sheet this isn't the case....

Expect a had battle if they don't back down on the initial call!

Reply to insurance not paying up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net