Discuss Intense short electric course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

AAGT

-
Reaction score
there hope everyone is safe

Thinking of a career change and been looking into become a Electrican or gas engineer

https://www.options-skills.co.uk/electrician-courses/nvq-electrical-training-course/

I know it’s a 6 week classroom base course but reading reviews there some people who have come in as a new entrant and completed it, then gone onto apprentice works experience, am2 etc

I’m 35 and don’t really want to do the 2 year evening college route, also with this company the find you apprentice work with your jib/ecs card.
They say you can build your portfolio in a year but may take upto 3 years

has anyone done one of these short courses or completed there portfolio in 12 months ?

I do understand they just want to sell you the package, and without the practical experience you got no chance after you complete the course.

any suggestions

TL;DR
Intense course
I do understand they just want to sell you the package, and without the practical experience you got no chance after you complete the course.

think you have summed it up correct. the 2 year college course is the way forward. as it's evenings, you can still earn in the day, and try and get some practical experience in your spare time. als bear in mind that these short courses centre around domestic work. who wants a career grubbing under floorboards ending with a bad back and knees in a few years? three's far less to learn to become a gas fitter/engineer. even plumbers can qualify.

think you have summed it up correct. the 2 year college course is the way forward. as it's evenings, you can still earn in the day, and try and get some practical experience in your spare time. als bear in mind that these short courses centre around domestic work. who wants a career grubbing under floorboards ending with a bad back and knees in a few years? three's far less to learn to become a gas fitter/engineer. even plumbers can qualify.
Thanks for the reply

so with a evening college course how would one go about gaining work experience, would most firms just take on apprentices who will train and work with them?

some of the short courses do aim at commercial work too as with the nvq level 3 they register you as a trainee electrician so can you find commercial work or will it still be the housing agency etc taking you on?

so you say gas is much less to learn? I know they want 6 months eveidence building your portfolio. I’ve been looking into this for a while but a lot of the local gas engineers I’ve spoken to regarding work experience have said there not much work and a lot of engineers, they all suggest electrical is a better career

the 2 year college course is the way forward
I agree. Four years ago I started Level 2 2365 as an evening course in a local college, followed by level 3 and then nvq level 3, passed my am2 just over a year ago so classed as "qualified" after 3 years.

Once I started the level 2 I began contacting local sparks until I found someone willing to give me a couple of days a week. Once I had some experience I applied for jobs as a mate. Two years I got a job as a mate for a large housing association and as soon as I passed my am2 they switched me over to an electrician's contract.

Everything's been domestic so far but there's nothing to stop me going into more commercial work.

Even after 4 years I still use this forum a lot as it's a valuable resource and I'm still learning everyday. I don't know what certificates you end up with on a 6 week course but I can't see all the of the content covered on the level 2 and 3 technical certificates being covered- and you definitely wouldn't have the time to absorb it all.

I'm 35 and in a previous career studied at degree level and beyond but I'm glad I didn't attempt to learn everything in 6 weeks!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Have a look at this. First I think you need to see what is required to enter the electrical industry. You need a road map so to speak. I am sure @Burtones will tell you, as anyone else working in social housing, the work can be horrible. As @Burtones has said he is domestic, and commercial is quite a leap from such work. If you structure your way toward what sort of work you want to be doing in the first place using the link to find out what is required you might be better off in the long run.

https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp

I agree. Four years ago I started Level 2 2365 as an evening course in a local college, followed by level 3 and then nvq level 3, passed my am2 just over a year ago so classed as "qualified" after 3 years.

Once I started the level 2 I began contacting local sparks until I found someone willing to give me a couple of days a week. Once I had some experience I applied for jobs as a mate. Two years I got a job as a mate for a large housing association and as soon as I passed my am2 they switched me over to an electrician's contract.

Everything's been domestic so far but there's nothing to stop me going into more commercial work.

Even after 4 years I still use this forum a lot as it's a valuable resource and I'm still learning everyday. I don't know what certificates you end up with on a 6 week course but I can't see all the of the content covered on the level 2 and 3 technical certificates being covered- and you definitely wouldn't have the time to absorb it all.

I'm 35 and in a previous career studied at degree level and beyond but I'm glad I didn't attempt to learn everything in 6 weeks!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the info
I also studied ad degree level many years ago. Maybe as the short course is 8 week 8-5pm they probably just rush it through and if you keep up your ok.

I contacted local colleagues but the only one I found local said if another lockdown happened the would do online learning which put me off

If it's 5 days a week then it's 360 hours (without breaks), 2 evenings a week for 2 college years is about 450 hours so not drastically lower. Either route you'll need to read and study yourself anyway and the ones that struggled on my course didn't do anything outside of college.

I know social housing work can be horrible but luckily I'm permanently on voids so only ever work in empty houses that have been cleared out before we go in. I also spent some time on their communal blocks rewiring emergency lighting in metal conduit (for experience and nvq).

To be honest, I ended up going the domestic route as I found people more likely to give me a chance and needed to keep earning but commercial is what I would like to go into.

If it's 5 days a week then it's 360 hours (without breaks), 2 evenings a week for 2 college years is about 450 hours so not drastically lower. Either route you'll need to read and study yourself anyway and the ones that struggled on my course didn't do anything outside of college.
360 hours for a 6 week course would be 12 hour days !!! before you do any home studying

So I’ve looked around pretty much everywhere and a lot of the training centres out there seem like they just take your money and you won’t be able to get a job as an electrician after it

So I’ve started looking at the forums recommended training centres and came across this course, agin what puts me off is this

“Your acceptance on a Domestic Installers Scheme is the decision of the registration body and dependent on your skills, experience and knowledge level”

With the course only you won’t have the experience to go out and install the electric vehicle charging points ? And to get registered with a governing body you need 2 years experience which nobody will take you on once you say you done a 5 week course

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-ev-installers-package

anyone whos done a short course and has not got 2 years experience should not be let loose on the general public anyway.

So I’ve looked around pretty much everywhere and a lot of the training centres out there seem like they just take your money and you won’t be able to get a job as an electrician after it

So I’ve started looking at the forums recommended training centres and came across this course, agin what puts me off is this

“Your acceptance on a Domestic Installers Scheme is the decision of the registration body and dependent on your skills, experience and knowledge level”

With the course only you won’t have the experience to go out and install the electric vehicle charging points ? And to get registered with a governing body you need 2 years experience which nobody will take you on once you say you done a 5 week course

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-ev-installers-package
A DI Domestic Installer is not an Electrician though

Hi, I thought I'd reply as I myself went through a career change at the start of the year, so I have been through this.

I hated my job and I previously completed an electrician qualification 10 years ago when I was made redundant but never saw this through as I ran out of cash and struggled to get an electrician to offer me some experience.

Anyway at the start of the current year I completed a basic refresher foundation course, Electrical installation course (part p level 3), 18th Edition and also my Inspection and testing Level 3. All of these quals can be completed within around 5 weeks training.

However ompleting these quals gave me the required qualifications to go out and get a job as an electrician (In theory) but in reality no electrical contractor would likely hire you as most of your knowledge will be theory based.

I think that's the problem as you really will need some practice and experience after going through the quicker courses as there designed to teach you knowledge to pass a test. You will struggle for example being taught how to dig out a back box in a wall in a classroom.

I am in the process of going self employed and registering with a Competent Person Scheme. My assessment will be based on works Ive done at home, complete rewire, new kitchen circuit, consumer unit change.

I still have a lot to learn and will only take on jobs im 100% confident with. But I love the job and everything that comes with it.

I hope that helps with your dilemma.

Hi, I thought I'd reply as I myself went through a career change at the start of the year, so I have been through this.

I hated my job and I previously completed an electrician qualification 10 years ago when I was made redundant but never saw this through as I ran out of cash and struggled to get an electrician to offer me some experience.

Anyway at the start of the current year I completed a basic refresher foundation course, Electrical installation course (part p level 3), 18th Edition and also my Inspection and testing Level 3. All of these quals can be completed within around 5 weeks training.

However ompleting these quals gave me the required qualifications to go out and get a job as an electrician (In theory) but in reality no electrical contractor would likely hire you as most of your knowledge will be theory based.

I think that's the problem as you really will need some practice and experience after going through the quicker courses as there designed to teach you knowledge to pass a test. You will struggle for example being taught how to dig out a back box in a wall in a classroom.

I am in the process of going self employed and registering with a Competent Person Scheme. My assessment will be based on works Ive done at home, complete rewire, new kitchen circuit, consumer unit change.

I still have a lot to learn and will only take on jobs im 100% confident with. But I love the job and everything that comes with it.

I hope that helps with your dilemma.
Hi thanks

who did you do your course with and did you get a job working with someone for practical experience ?

thanks

there hope everyone is safe

Thinking of a career change and been looking into become a Electrican or gas engineer

https://www.options-skills.co.uk/electrician-courses/nvq-electrical-training-course/

I know it’s a 6 week classroom base course but reading reviews there some people who have come in as a new entrant and completed it, then gone onto apprentice works experience, am2 etc

I’m 35 and don’t really want to do the 2 year evening college route, also with this company the find you apprentice work with your jib/ecs card.
They say you can build your portfolio in a year but may take upto 3 years

has anyone done one of these short courses or completed there portfolio in 12 months ?

any suggestions
Waste of time. You'll learn nothing in 6 weeks. And you'll not be an electrician at the end of it either.

Reply to Intense short electric course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net