Discuss Intensive NVQ Level 2 and 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kensprint

I have over the last few months received many speculative CV's from people looking for employment with my company as electricians. A worrying trend seems to be developing. A number of them are from people who have attended intensive courses for NVQ level 2 and NVQ level 3. Level 2 takes 8 weeks and Level 3 6 weeks. The people who have gained their qualification from these courses have had no prior electrical experience and gain very little practical experience on the course. Some of these people may be perfectly competent though it concerns me that many have on completion of the course just been given a licence to kill. Any thoughts

Hi ken.

I have had similar enquiries , yes it is both worrying and also sad for the individuals .cos in the forseeable near future opportunities of employment are likely to be bleak,and their academic qualifications wont be a lot of use when there are experienced sparks applying for the same vacancies as them.

sparkylad.

I have been a sound and lighting engineer for the last 10 years and from time to time have done electrics under the guidance of a approved electrician, but when i was made redundant, I decided to be full time electrician, so looked into courses. The college courses started in sept and lasted 3-4 years, I was 32 so this was no good, so found OLCI, very expensive but they sell the course as once you are completed you are leagally qualified.
i completed the level 2 + 3 17th and Part P in 4 months, the tutor told me that previous experience really helped me, as others in the workshops really struggled that had not done electrics before.
Then came the NVQ 3 which trying to find a company to take me and pay me was a joke, no one will take anyone now unless they are JIB even though I have sufficient qualifcations.
I found a company that would take me on but as voluntary, i have been with them a couple of months and this made me realise that the best way is the college way, as they is so much they don't teach you. So I think they should change it so to being JIB qualified to be a electrician but improve the pay.
The training centres don't care, once they have your money your treated like rubbish.

I am a qualified Joiner and have worked in the trade for over 10 year so I have a good awareness of electrical work and i have done some bits and pieces in my own house. Although joinery will always be my trade I want to expand my job oppurtunities and get the electrician qualifications through one of these short courses. All I want to be able to do is offer more expertise and skill when I get a job to renovate an apartment etc. However my question is , if anyone can help me, if I do a course such as the one displayed below can i legally sign off on electrical work as 'Chippy' said when you do these short courses your not automatically a competent electrician and you wont get JIB qualified. I'm not necessarily trying to get employment through an electrician company on completion of a short course, I just want to be able to certify domestic electrical work for my own jobs. This may include work that needs to be signed off for a landlord or for a building warrant.

Module 1 - Basic Electrical Generic Module
Module 2 - Domestic Electrical Part 1:- Domestic Wiring Circuit
City and Guilds 2382-10 - 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
City and Guilds 2377-12 - Portable Appliance Testing
City and Guilds 2391-10 - Inspection and Testing
City and Guilds 2392-10 - Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (Recently added to course specification)
Emta Awards Limited (EAL) Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers
Construction Skills (CITB) - Essential Electrics Module
FYI - these costs about £3000

From what I remember being told you can do a more intensive Part P course which is about 5 days, however to self certify you must join with NICEIC, NAPIT or similar company who change upwards of £500 and come to see your jobs and sign off on them....I think that is right. you only need 2330 level 2 and 3 for comercial and industrial aswell as domestic.

Thanks for that, who did you do your course with? does £3000 seem over priced to you? from the research i have done it seems one of the cheapest around. This a 4 week course with technique training ltd and does seem an incredibly short period of time to get qualified (legally) but i cant leave work for much longer then that for financial reasons so im hoping this is the best route for me.

I did it with OLCI but arent the greatest, i would £3,000 is a bit much i would get in touch with your local college. you should be looking at the 5 day part p course.

Reply to Intensive NVQ Level 2 and 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net