Discuss Intensive Training Q's and guidance in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky wannabe

Evening,

I am looking for some guidance.
I am going to be taking my c&g 2382-10, 2392-10, and EAL 006, starting in Aug and finishing in Oct. Could anyone point me in the right direction for books, learning aids that may be of use before I sit the course and exam? Please post if you have found anything useful while training etc.

I see alot of people here are retraining to become an electrician so this might help out some other people aswell.

Cheers in advance,

theres some stuff at electacouse.com but i dunno if its anygood theres another thread in this section on it somewhere try a search first because the same subject keeps coming up over and over again :)

Evening,

I am going to be taking my c&g 2382-10, 2392-10, and EAL 006, starting in Aug and finishing in Oct. Could anyone point me in the right direction for books, learning aids that may be of use before I sit the course and exam? Please post if you have found anything useful while training etc.

I see alot of people here are retraining to become an electrician so this might help out some other people aswell.

Cheers in advance,

Do you have any previous experience?

I havent got any experience in domestic electrics but I have been doing electronics.
I am looking to get some work experience with an electrician starting next month. To help me out for the exams and to get a bit of know how.
Im 26 so I am hoping this is the right career change for me :)

You didnt fancy the 2330 route?

That would take too long, Im due to leave the services in nov so I havent got that much time. It is something I will be doing in the future I think.

Thanks Scotty I have already bought the 17th edition wire regs and have the on site guide for 16th edition. I have also recently bought the electricians guide to building regs also.

I was wondering if the exam success books are worth while also.

Hi sparky wannabe

I just completed my courses EAL, 17th Edition and testing and inspection. my background same as you.

my advice to you is buy the books and study in advance.
Books list:
EAL - Electricians guide to the building regulations ( including approved document P)
17th edition - Requirements for electrical installtion BS 7671 2008
PIR - Practical guide to inspection, testing and certification of Electrical institute.

Guidance note 3. i think the 17th edition already out.

you dont need the onsite guide book for the exam ( it base on 16th edition) beside on the 1st July 2008 17th edition will apply. if i was you wait till September then buy the lates edtion. It is a good book, only require when you join with the governor body.

I also found the Exam success IEE wiring regulations 2382- 10 help alots.

good luck..!!!

Fair nuff.

As said, BS7671, OnSite Guide (whenever the next date of release is) and Guidance Note 3, all essential literature.

Hi sparky wannabe

I just completed my courses EAL, 17th Edition and testing and inspection. my background same as you.

my advice to you is buy the books and study in advance.
Books list:
EAL - Electricians guide to the building regulations ( including approved document P)
17th edition - Requirements for electrical installtion BS 7671 2008
PIR - Practical guide to inspection, testing and certification of Electrical institute.

Guidance note 3. i think the 17th edition already out.

you dont need the onsite guide book for the exam ( it base on 16th edition) beside on the 1st July 2008 17th edition will apply. if i was you wait till September then buy the lates edtion. It is a good book, only require when you join with the governor body.

I also found the Exam success IEE wiring regulations 2382- 10 help alots.

good luck..!!!

cheers Hungy and everyone else.
I have now got my order in with Amazon and hopefully they should be here next week.
I would still like to get some "on site" experience, and i might have the chance with a guy around here. We shall hope and see.

Hungy,
what tester did you buy? Im thinkin of fluke 1652 but i have heard that they arent the easiest to learn with.

Evening,

Cheers in advance,

erm... so who are you dong your training with then?:rolleyes:

I am using fluke 1653.....it had same funtions as 1562....the only advantage is you can download informations data into computer. it very handy if you do alots oj jobs and want to save all data. 1563 cost more and also you have to buy the software to go with it...i recommend if you have extra cash to flash......

Shakey,
I expect the courses are being run by the Forces Resettlement Training Centre at Aldershot.
They provide 17th ed, 2391 and the Dom Install EAL course to service leavers.
Whilst I share your trepidation about intensive courses, most service leavers managing to get on these (well oversubscribed) courses have a service background in Electronics/Electrics, and these courses allow a servicemen to leave with some "civvy" quals to help the transition from service life.
I did however think that entry onto the courses required some previous experience....clearly the earlier poster is green as grass. (Maybe him looking for a suitable meter is a little previous....i would think that the courses will be seriously hard for someone with little previous knowledge, and there's a good chance of failure?)
A little worrying perhaps that someone could be out there after four weeks training re-wiring an old dear's house...........
Randyrat

Shakey,
I expect the courses are being run by the Forces Resettlement Training Centre at Aldershot.
Whilst I share your trepidation about intensive courses, most service leavers managing to get on these (well oversubscribed) courses have a service background in Electronics/Electrics, and these courses allow a servicemen to leave with some "civvy" quals to help the transition from service life.
I did however think that entry onto the courses required some previous experience....clearly the earlier poster is green as grass. (Maybe him looking for a suitable meter is a little previous....i would think that the courses will be seriously hard for someone with little previous knowledge, and there's a good chance of failure?)
A little worrying perhaps that someone could be out there after four weeks training re-wiring an old dear's house...........
Randyrat

I am doing the courses with Steve Willis training, not aldershot.
I wont be going into the courses "green"
I have 12 weeks of work where I will be working alongside an electrician. As I have stated before I have done elctronics.
Once I have left the services I will also be applying for the 2330 course.
You obviously have some knowledge of service leavers and perhaps are one your self. If this is the case then you know as well as anyone how hard it is to go from military to civvy life.

Shakey,
Randyrat

Randy, I am VERY well aware of what Aldershot offers! Just finshed a 23 yr stint in the RAF, and used the place myself:p

A little worrying perhaps that someone could be out there after four weeks training re-wiring an old dear's house..........

Indeed.

If I was you Sparky I would do your 2330 before considering buying test equipment. It will take you 3 years of work. Unfortunately this will take a little longer than the 4 weeks you are considering with the shorter courses.

You will also require more than 12 weeks on site experience. You will need to work throughout your 3 years training.

This isnt something you can learn from scratch over night or over a few months. Thats the bottom line. Do it properly if you want to be a good spark.

A little worrying perhaps that someone could be out there after four weeks training re-wiring an old dear's house..........

Indeed.

If I was you Sparky I would do your 2330 before considering buying test equipment. It will take you 3 years of work. Unfortunately this will take a little longer than the 4 weeks you are considering with the shorter courses.

You will also require more than 12 weeks on site experience. You will need to work throughout your 3 years training.

This isnt something you can learn from scratch over night or over a few months. Thats the bottom line. Do it properly if you want to be a good spark.

I understand what you are saying Rob. I appreciate that I am not going to become the worlds best electrcian over night. The reason I am buying test equipment is for my course. Granted 12 weeks isnt alot of time, but time isnt something I have alot of I am affraid. I might have an oppurtunity of work with/along side an expericened electrician before and after my courses. This will require me to buy my own gear. I dont plan on going out by my self and going to "re-wire an old dear's house". I am not naive and can appreciate that it all takes time. Unfortunatley these course's are my only oppurtunity I have to make a career change. I do, how ever, have faith in my ability to learn and to get things done right. I have a family and cant afford to take a massive pay drop to appretince wages. Been their done that when I was 16 as a appretince bircklayer on a YTS scheme paying £50 a week. Things might have changed since, I dont know.

I do plan on enrolling on the 2330 course. This is something I really want todo.

Hope it all works out for you. I didnt join the industry straight from school so I was a little older than the average 16 to 18 year old doing my training. I did it the "long way" and am glad I did. Get on the 2330 course in September and stick at it. If youve got family who support you then you will have no worries. Getting actual working experience is where many people find difficulty. You might find yourself having some rather sh!tty jobs from time to time in the early days but it will come good.

Knuckle down, dont take short cuts and you will reap the rewards. Might seem like an age getting through all the courses etc but it will be worth it. I speak from personal experience.

Sparky Wannabee....
my apologies....(mebbees should learn to read)
I also am a service leaver so have similar problems....(entering civvy life without losing the house would be the major one).....theres no way in the world people such as us can afford the time on low training income.....hence the reliance on intensive qualification courses.
Knowing service people as I do.....we do have a remarkable attitude to learning, and a capacity for skills acquisition far beyond your everyday "Joe".
There are a lot of posters on here who are quick to slate this method of learning, (and in some cases I have to agree with them), but I'm sure most of them will also agree that there are a lot of "time served the long way" sparkies out there who are a danger to themselves and others....
Best of luck to you anyway......
Randyrat:eek:

Reply to Intensive Training Q's and guidance in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock