Discuss Interesting old video (Cable manufacturing) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A bloody big thank you for that.

It brought back some memories. As an apprentice’s we went for a tour of BICC. Sadly now long gone. How many companies could you phone up on Monday “I need 600m of 500mm² cambric singles ASAP” “Can’t get it to you tomorrow, Wednesday OK”.

If you noticed the paper taping on the 33KV cable termination is overlaid with antimonial lead wire to form the stress relief. I don’t want to give too much away as its part of something I’m writing at the moment.

This shows how the cable is terminated.

33KVsinglescol1_zpsea14905c.jpg

That was before my time Geordie. But I have worked on the whitewash cables.

A bloody big thank you for that.

It brought back some memories. As an apprentice’s we went for a tour of BICC. Sadly now long gone. How many companies could you phone up on Monday “I need 600m of 500mm² cambric singles ASAP” “Can’t get it to you tomorrow, Wednesday OK”.

If you noticed the paper taping on the 33KV cable termination is overlaid with antimonial lead wire to form the stress relief. I don’t want to give too much away as its part of something I’m writing at the moment.

This shows how the cable is terminated.

33KVsinglescol1_zpsea14905c.jpg

That was before my time Geordie. But I have worked on the whitewash cables.

I've seen and climbed about on the drums of whitewashed cable when I was a kid.

Building sites and railway lines were my playground.

Health & Safety ... what's that when it's at home? In the 50's we didn't need such nonsense - we were blessed with common sense and the knowledge of how to use it - even at such a tender age.

After all this time, I still have a pair of eyes and a pair of ears in reasonable working order, all my fingers and toes are all present and correct too and I have never yet broken a bone (cracked a couple of ribs though).

The ONLY time I have ever worn a Hard Hat was when I was on a course learning to drive a Front Tipping Dumper Truck and I've never felt so bloody ridiculous in my life - driving a Thwaites dumper around and around a clarty field in the pi$$ing rain somewhere near Blyth with a stupid yellow plastic basin balanced on me heid so flock off Nanny State and leave me alone.

Great vids, very interesting. I always found the process of MI cable manufacture fascinating too, but can't find any videos of it kicking about the net.

I grew up near the old BICC works and can remember the huge drums of cable coming out of the gates on trucks,if you drove down the road at the back of the factory you could see great piles of shiny bright copper wire waiting to be used,sadly the whole place has gone now.

Reply to Interesting old video (Cable manufacturing) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net