Discuss intermediate switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
planning on having some two way switching put in but controlled from four places so will need to have intermediate switches I'm planning on controlling six rooms from different places inside a house so can turn downstairs room lights on from upstairs so not only two way switches but intermediate switches in between needs installing that would mean six pairs of strappers at each intermediate switch using 1.5mm three core and earth now the question is would that be too many cables at the intermediate switches or would it be ok planning all this work for security and wife's peace of mind.
many thanks for any advice.

planning on having some two way switching put in but controlled from four places so will need to have intermediate switches I'm planning on controlling six rooms from different places inside a house so can turn downstairs room lights on from upstairs so not only two way switches but intermediate switches in between needs installing that would mean six pairs of strappers at each intermediate switch using 1.5mm three core and earth now the question is would that be too many cables at the intermediate switches or would it be ok planning all this work for security and wife's peace of mind.
IMO I think you should get a spark in to see if possible it can be done .

many thanks for any advice.

thank you for quick replying I've been doing electrics for 42 years and never blown a fuse i thought i would double check that there would be too many cables in the one switch.
Madness, just get plug in sockets connected to your phone(various types) and plug in table lamps

Why do you need 3 cores for intermediates, can you do it with twin instead?
1 mm instead of 1.5 ?

Have you considered using technology?
Loads of options available, rf switches are probably the cheapest and easiest option..
Or if you have loads of money there is even better options

Madness, just get plug in sockets connected to your phone(various types) and plug in table lamps
have to go down this route health condition prevents me from having a mobile phone and because of wife's mental illness she wants to be able to turn the main light on before entering the room. Thanks for replying

Would the position of the switch be an issue to your wife?
For instance, due to the amount of switches one could appear to be in the on position when it is a actually off..

As alluded to above, three core & Earth cable is not necessary for two-way and intermediate switching. Just don't wire it in the conversion method but use the traditional method.

yes she would be doing that but mainly in the winter its more for security if I'm out and she thinks she can hear a noise downstairs she can turn lights on and frighten any one away.
a rampant rottweiler will do the job of frightening away.

Reply to intermediate switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock