Discuss Intermediate switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Just a quickie, if I wired a switched live and neutral to an intermediate switch could it still work?

2 way switch - feed and 3 core
intermediate switch - 3 core 3 core and switch live and neutral
2 way switch - 3 core

I’ve not made a mistake, I’m just a bit curious!

cheers big ears

rare to see a neutral at an intermediate switch. more info required.

An intermediate switch would swap the live & neutral over if wired as I think you describe, so no normal switching action as such.

A diagram might help!

More info need, pic would help or diagram, but I am assuming you have LN at switch plus pair from light to switch?, if so 3core&e to all other positions.

You can take a feed to the first 2-way, with line on COM and neutral to a connector. Then send the two strappers from L1 and L2, and the neutral, down the 3C+E. At the intermediate, strappers go through the switch as usual and N simply passes through another connector. At the second 2-way, strappers finish at L1 & L2 and the light is fed from N and COM.

It's the same as a 'conventional' 2-way but with the neutral tagging along too. At no point should the neutral connect to any of the switch terminals!

FWIW an intermediate is a cross-connected DPDT, that will function as a polarity reverser, not that it is designed to have L & N across two of its terminals.

Guys, I haven’t wired up anything,

It was just a question I was thinking about on my way home.

So it would work if you had the permanent feed at one of the circuit end and the S/L at the other end of the circuit but not if the S/L is in with the intermediate?

I’m certain it won’t work, again, just curious!

Your strappers are a continuous metallic path , does not matter how many positions you are switching, so why talk about N at intermediate position.

Yes, you can feed the light from intermediate. The two strappers run from end to end as before, going through the intermediate switch, using two cores of the 3C+E. The third core in the 3C+E from the supply end 2-way to the intermediate carries the neutral to the intermediate position. The third core in the 3C+E from the far end 2-way carries the SL back from the COM to the intermediate position. N & SL can then be jointed to the cable to the light.
[automerge]1594328405[/automerge]
Intermediate switching 15943282644263199618524074668948 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Look at my pic in the previous post!

Could you get this to work?
Yeah it would work, with some joints of N& S/L along the way.Not ideal way in domestic set up, not even if it was conduit system, I would have the perm live s/l end to end with just strappers in-between. Only if it as conduit system

Yes, you can feed the light from intermediate. The two strappers run from end to end as before, going through the intermediate switch, using two cores of the 3C+E. The third core in the 3C+E from the supply end 2-way to the intermediate carries the neutral to the intermediate position. The third core in the 3C+E from the far end 2-way carries the SL back from the COM to the intermediate position. N & SL can then be jointed to the cable to the light.
[automerge]1594328405[/automerge]
View attachment 59350
Just saw this!

you’ve answered my question ,
Thanks

:)

Reply to Intermediate switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock