Discuss Intermittent lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a lighting ring that occasionally stops working; when this happens, there is no power at any of the switches or ceiling roses. I've identified the feed wire, and it disappears inside the ceiling in the general direction of the consumer unit. There's no loose connections or anything obvious that I can find, and when this happens my pen tester says that the feed cable is dead.

What's odd is that sometimes, when I come in and switch the light on, the lights will come on for a fraction of a second and then shut off, and then stay dead. Last night I walked back in hours later and all the lights were on, until I switched them off and the next day they didn't work again.

Nothing trips in the consumer unit, ever - I'm about to lift the floorboards upstairs and follow the cable looking for breaks, but I had a thought - could this be caused by a faulty MCB in the consumer unit? It's quite old.

For what it's worth, I did not install this - so as far as I am aware it's professionally installed years many ago, and it's just recently that it's started to fail.

Any tips would be great :)

Thanks
John

Hi folks

I have a lighting ring that occasionally stops working; when this happens, there is no power at any of the switches or ceiling roses. I've identified the feed wire, and it disappears inside the ceiling in the general direction of the consumer unit. There's no loose connections or anything obvious that I can find, and when this happens my pen tester says that the feed cable is dead.

What's odd is that sometimes, when I come in and switch the light on, the lights will come on for a fraction of a second and then shut off, and then stay dead. Last night I walked back in hours later and all the lights were on, until I switched them off and the next day they didn't work again.

Nothing trips in the consumer unit, ever - I'm about to lift the floorboards upstairs and follow the cable looking for breaks, but I had a thought - could this be caused by a faulty MCB in the consumer unit? It's quite old.

For what it's worth, I did not install this - so as far as I am aware it's professionally installed years many ago, and it's just recently that it's started to fail.

Any tips would be great :)

Thanks
John
Sounds like you have a loose connection at either the switch, ceiling rose or the CU best advice would be to call a professional Electrician to come and check out the circuit, step by step advice over the internet for something like this, is not advisable

thanks dave, i think it's a given that it's either the feed cable or the MCB, unless it turns out that there is a junction box between where the feed cable appears by the rose and where it arrives at the consumer unit.

I could just replace the MCB and see if that fixes it I guess, I was just wondering if it was likely that was the cause.

Sounds like you have a loose connection at either the switch, ceiling rose or the CU best advice would be to call a professional Electrician to come and check out the circuit, step by step advice over the internet for something like this, is not advisable
Thanks pete, but it seems like a loose connection is the kind of thing which is well within the capabilities of DIY like me. IMHO it's fairly straightforward to test for live, examine connections without touching bare wires, etc - I'm happy to be corrected on that because I'm not pretending to be an electrician, but it's a lot easier and cheaper to not take a day off work and pay for a visit if it is really something very simple. If nothing else, I have a lot of shifting of furniture and lifting of floorboards ahead ...

thanks dave, i think it's a given that it's either the feed cable or the MCB, unless it turns out that there is a junction box between where the feed cable appears by the rose and where it arrives at the consumer unit.

I could just replace the MCB and see if that fixes it I guess, I was just wondering if it was likely that was the cause.
Yes it is possible that a joint is in-between

Thanks pete, but it seems like a loose connection is the kind of thing which is well within the capabilities of DIY like me. IMHO it's fairly straightforward to test for live, examine connections without touching bare wires, etc - I'm happy to be corrected on that because I'm not pretending to be an electrician, but it's a lot easier and cheaper to not take a day off work and pay for a visit if it is really something very simple. If nhing else, I have a lot of shifting of furniture and lifting of floorboards ahead ...
OK Good luck, and be careful

Reply to Intermittent lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net