Discuss Intermittent socket fault in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mjg123

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having a very strange issue with some sockets. They're in my garage and are running from a 13amp switched fused spur off a 30amp radial circuit.
There are 4 double sockets and appeared to be working fine. Then suddenly they stopped, no breaker went on the consumer unit so I assumed the fuse had gone in the spur. Checked the fuse and all was fine so I put the fuse back in and they worked again so I assumed it may have been slightly loose. All was well and then the same thing happened a few days later. Fuse was again fine so I opened up the socket and one of the live wires had worked loose (very possibly due to me opening it up) so I reconnected it and all was well again. Then they stopped working yet again, I suddenly realised that each time they had stopped working was when the boiler was running the central heating.
So I switched off the boiler and as soon as the pump stopped running, sure enough the sockets immediately started working again.
Would anyone have an idea as to how they would stop working while the boiler is on? I can't figure out why this would prevent other sockets working especially when they are on their own spur.
The main radial is ran with 4mm twin and earth with a 30 amp breaker so i believe that has sufficient capacity and would not be overloaded, the spur is ran using 2.5mm twin and earth from 13 amp fuse so again in theory all should be well. Or at least that's my understanding of the situation.

Could the pump somehow cause the switch in the fuse to stop working? One thing I'm thinking could work is to replace the spur entirely but wanted to check with you guys first.

This could do with some testing, you have most likely a broken cable or bad connection.

Sometimes checking all connections on the circuit will identify the bad connection

My best guess is that the heat/vibration of the boiler is causing a connection between 2 conductors that are almost touching under other conditions.

This could do with some testing, you have most likely a broken cable or bad connection.

Sometimes checking all connections on the circuit will identify the bad connection

My best guess is that the heat/vibration of the boiler is causing a connection between 2 conductors that are almost touching under other conditions.
It now appears to be resolved. A live wire had again come out, on closer inspection it appears that the thread on the screw had worn and was no longer holding the wire in place. I've replaced the unit entirely now.

Reply to Intermittent socket fault in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net