Discuss Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summat! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Lads and Ettes!

Sure most of you will have had this situation: intermittent tripping and circuit tests fine when you are there. So you try to explain what the householder should do - i.e. next time it trips make a note of anything you have switched on prior to it tripping....turn off the appliance etc and reset MCB/RCD......try turning appliance on again. AND does it trip at certain time etc etc.

Trouble with the lovely public is that they do not generally follow the process through logically which then means you are pretty much none the wiser when you return when it trips again.

Have recently had RCD tripping due to someone grilling bacon approx 15mm away from the element, presumably due to the high water content of bacon and steam getting into the element. Another one was someone trying to steam clean their microwave with a bowl of water on full power for 20 minutes..... etc etc...

Now I dont mind chargeable return visits but as I am a softy I sometimes say its on my way home dont worry about it!

What I am basically after is some kind of print out I can give to customers so they can help me help them in the future.

It has occured to me I could of probably written one in the time I have waffled all the shyte above! I have actually tried to write one but could not figure out the best format and wording for it.

Thanks!

Re: Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summ

Intermittent tripping??

Sounds like the title of a thread about the 1960's.

(I was there ...... but I don't remember it)

Re: Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summ

Intermittent tripping??

Sounds like the title of a thread about the 1960's.

(I was there ...... but I don't remember it)

Showing your age there Geordie, I did the same but in the 80's!

Mainly to forget the awful fashion of that awful decade!

well....
ropey appliances are the obvious ones...
but of course theres the timed stuff=salamander boxes.....then theres the `does it do it after its been raining` one=outside light....then its the `does it happen whilst running the bath/shower....or just after emptying the bath` one=leaking onto a joint box...and dont forget the `is it doing it when moving about the house...like in the hallway or summat`=trapped cable....
try hittin em with some of them...lol..

Just keep plodding on, took me three months to find an earth fault on an earth free system.

You think you have problems!

Showing your age there Geordie, I did the same but in the 80's!

Mainly to forget the awful fashion of that awful decade!

Drainpipe jeans, a T shirt, black leather jacked & cowboy boots has always been good enough for me - whatever the decade !! ;)

well....
ropey appliances are the obvious ones...
but of course theres the timed stuff=salamander boxes.....then theres the `does it do it after its been raining` one=outside light....then its the `does it happen whilst running the bath/shower....or just after emptying the bath` one=leaking onto a joint box...and dont forget the `is it doing it when moving about the house...like in the hallway or summat`=trapped cable....
try hittin em with some of them...lol..

Never thought of the last one, ta. Will remember it.

What I am after is something I can give to a cust so they can play detective a bit...... I look after a lot of rental properties and tenants never seem to have a logical thought process, or more likely think 'duck it' and ring the letting agent and then me... whenever I explain what to do when somenthing trips out they never, without fail, seem to follow it through and help in any way.

Saying that some tenants expect the landlord to get me to go round to change a lamp for them!

Drainpipe jeans, a T shirt, black leather jacked & cowboy boots has always been good enough for me - whatever the decade !! ;)

I live six doors down from the one time boss of Geordie Jeans mate! I will see if she has some old stock in her garage and send them to you! Though I dont know when they were the height of Tyneside fashion as Im from M/cr and were before my time here.

Just keep plodding on, took me three months to find an earth fault on an earth free system.

You think you have problems!

......and you call yourself a spark.....PAH!

I live six doors down from the one time boss of Geordie Jeans mate! I will see if she has some in her garage and send them to you! Though I dont know when they were the height of Tyneside fashion as Im from M/cr and were before my time here.

I remember Geordie Jeans - they were good.

They had a shop beside Greys Monument that is or was Boots the Chemist.

- - - Updated - - -

......and you call yourself a spark.....PAH!

It's just a rumour ... ;)

Just tell them to stop doing line dancing in the hallway!

Give them a check sheet to fill in or something.

If anyone comes up with a definitive answer at a distance they are a damn site better than me! Everyone seems to think I can read minds.

Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summat! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Just tell them to stop doing line dancing in the hallway!

Give them a check sheet to fill in or something.

If anyone comes up with a definitive answer at a distance they are a damn site better than me! Everyone seems to think I can read minds.

Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summat! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Nah .... you just read lots of books. :)

A check sheet I like, will get on Excel over the weekend! Exciting life I lead....... hopefully someone might have a tried and tested sheet they already use though and will kindly post on here!

Cheers

A check sheet I like, will get on Excel over the weekend! Exciting life I lead....... hopefully someone might have a tried and tested sheet they already use though and will kindly post on here!

Cheers

Pay my expenses, I’ll come and do the job for you!

Never thought of the last one, ta. Will remember it.

What I am after is something I can give to a cust so they can play detective a bit...... I look after a lot of rental properties and tenants never seem to have a logical thought process, or more likely think 'duck it' and ring the letting agent and then me... whenever I explain what to do when somenthing trips out they never, without fail, seem to follow it through and help in any way.

Saying that some tenants expect the landlord to get me to go round to change a lamp for them!
tell em to keep it up gay....
they lose power....you gets paid....
thats how it seems to work....

Reply to Intermittent tripping and explaining to customers what to do etc download or summat! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock