Discuss Intermittent wiper switch for classic car in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My old classic only has a one-speed wiper. I really would like to fit an intermittent device so that I can vary the time between wipes. I am fed up with reaching for the wiper switch when there is only very light rainfall.
Whilst at a steam rally recently, I picked up an old wiper dwell switch with a variable dial on the front and I wonder if that will do the job. It has three wires....red, green and black.
I attach a wiring diagram of the present arrangement. There are three wires...green, black and black/green. I would be grateful if somebody would help me with the proper connections.

Intermittent wiper switch for classic car wiper diagram.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi: On your diagram, where does the green wire to your wiper motor go ?

On your dwell pot I would imagine that the Red is +12v supply, Black is your Negative connection and Green is the variable output to your wiper motor. You need to check this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Green is permanent +12v then in theory that would be removed from the motor & go to Red on the Dwell pot, Black would go to the wiper motor side of the wiper switch & Green would go to the wiper motor.
In theory that would give you on / off as normal and variable speed through the pot on the PCB.

As you said, you could check wiring & operation with a battery and bulb or 12v test lamp.

Reply to Intermittent wiper switch for classic car in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock