Discuss Internal to External PVC Conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jamesj

Hi all,

Some help is required, I am currently trying to run network + 12v cable out to my dog kennels (for cctv cameras) and have a slight problem working out how the conduit should be installed correctly. The run is only short but the cables must exit mid way up and in the middle of an external wall, immediately make a 90 degree turn downwards to a junction box (needs to be waterproof) and then round an inside corner and into the kennels.

I'm ok with all of this except two things, firstly all the pvc conduit and junction boxes I see on the internet 'look' like they're waterproof but don't seem to have an IP rating, are PVC conduit/junction boxes/connecting glands IP rated?? Secondly and the biggest problem I'm having is how should the conduit exit the building?? In the good old U S of A they seem to have a fitting just for this (an LB fitting) but I can't find anything similar in the UK, does it exist??? If not what is the correct/acceptable method of doing this.

Links to obvious solutions that I'm stupidly missing are very welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

Any possibility of bringing the conduit through the wall and straight into the back of the box. If you make it a snug fit, you can glue the end of the conduit into the box with the adhesive used for plumbing fittings or the PVC adhesive sold for conduit. You can also use this stuff for gluing conduit into fittings. You may run into trouble if the runs are long as there'll be no possibility of movement to allow for expansion in the heat.

Any possibility of bringing the conduit through the wall and straight into the back of the box. If you make it a snug fit, you can glue the end of the conduit into the box with the adhesive used for plumbing fittings or the PVC adhesive sold for conduit. You can also use this stuff for gluing conduit into fittings. You may run into trouble if the runs are long as there'll be no possibility of movement to allow for expansion in the heat.

Can I just add to that adhesive wouldnt be required if he put an adaptor on the end then into the box...

Terminate the conduit into the back of a 4x4 IP56 weatherproof box.

And drill a 4mm drain hole in the bottom rear corner of any box or fitting where condensation can collect. It sounds wrong drilling holes in weatherproof boxes, but you'll find a specific drain hole position in most plastic adaptable boxes. And do the same for the lower most part of any conduit run unless it can drain into a box which itself has a drain hole.

The conduit boxes themselves won't have an IP rating because the bits generally come separately, and depend on how you seal them, ie with glue/cement. For a weatherproof box you'll need a rubber gasket.

Reply to Internal to External PVC Conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock