Discuss Interview preparation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

judd96

-
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got an interview for a new job soon as a spark. I've only ever had one interview....for my apprenticeship. Does anyone have experience of things they may ask? Obviously experience, why did I apply for this company (include info about the company).

I'm also assuming they will ask me some regs questions ( should be fine, did my 18th recently ).

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Judd

Interviews take a bit of a set routine now with questions, equal opportunities and all that, dependant on the company.

Why have you applied, what can you bring, what are you good points, what do you do to improve on you less good attributes, can you work with minimum supervision, some scenario questions.

You want be asked about yourself or your hobbies, qualifications etc will be in your CV. How long do you see you working for them (don’t be too honest here).

The rest answer honestly, and not what you think they want you to say.

Hello,
I've got an interview for a new job soon as a spark. I've only ever had one interview....for my apprenticeship. Does anyone have experience of things they may ask? Obviously experience, why did I apply for this company (include info about the company).

I'm also assuming they will ask me some regs questions ( should be fine, did my 18th recently ).

Judd
They will ask some tech questions Judd but be prepared for personnel stuff as well. Switch your phone off, go prepared to ask questions at the end, and thank the board for their time.

Hello,

Judd
As someone who has interviewed hundreds of people and employed a lot too I would suggest you act like the job is your dream and act with enthusiasm and like it is your mission, we employers like those who are keen, positivity is everything

The interview may be the first stage in the process and is your opportunity to sell yourself to the new employer. Read your covering letter and cv that you used to apply for the position and compare against the job specification. Check most of the specification is covered as to what they require, and were there is a shortfall look for opportunites to train or be mentored.

The panel may be made up of the hiring manager and personnel department represntative (HR) and possibly a foreman who you may end up working with. They will want to gauge your personallity from the questions presented. Possibly around the company you are going to, so reseach that and if they make a product that, as well as their manufacturing process. Also mention cross overs from your current role or employer that may be similar to the new.

As about a tour of the companies premises if offered and this may give you an opportunity to ask further questions or conversley have them asked of you.

They may require an aptitude test to be sat, bit of mental mathermatics, electrical diagram scematics or fault finding etc. They may even ask you to perform some form of trade test, be ready for that.

Plan the route you are going to take, arrive early, enough for a quick coffee before the interview and respect the company signange upon arrival, reverse parking, one way traffic flow and booking in with security or reception.

Above all else, prepare well and enjoy the experience.

Good luck.

One of the most important things I have learned, through interviewing.

Don't try an bull s!!!. I could see through it every time an when I noticed it, I would tie them up with questions they clearly did not know.

Was far better for them to simply state they didn't know, nobody knows everything, but making the point that you're interested in learning new things is always a huge positive.

Might be random but a friend went for a job interview the other week in a factory as a maintenance tech or something along those lines & one of the first things they asked was what do you think of our company website, how would you improve it, what bits didnt you like etc.

Have some words practised for|:

1. Why you became/like being a sparks?
2. What does the company do/make?
3. Who are its major clients?
4. How flexible are your working hours?
5. Are you prepared to travel/be away for the night(s).
6. What is the next qualification you are/you will studying/study for?
7. What would your last boss say about you?

Might be random but a friend went for a job interview the other week in a factory as a maintenance tech or something along those lines & one of the first things they asked was what do you think of our company website, how would you improve it, what bits didnt you like etc.
Yes , a little research goes a long way and will impress them.
Lots of good advice here. Try and be yourself. They will have done this before and know what they are looking for.

Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths as this question sometimes catches people out, and always have a question or two ready for when they say 'is there anything you want to ask us'.

And good luck!

Reply to Interview preparation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock