Discuss Interview questions and tips in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I have final stage interview for maintenace engineer job next week, the problem is all I have done so far is testing and installing, never had much to do with manufacturing electrical equipment however company decided they'll put me on development program for couple months due to my experience but obviously i'd like to prepare for tricky questions. Could any of you give me a clue what kind of electrical equipment is used in manufacturing? so far what i can think of are motors SP&TP, Relays, Inverters and DOL starters...

Cheers

and PLC. then there's also the general electrical installations, lights, sockets etc.

Conveyors - plc inputs and output to various items on conveyor
Variable speed drives controlling motor speeds
Process control systems 4-20mA
Ups systems maybe
Hv possibly on site if it's a big plant
Heating and ventilation
Star delta starters
Emergency stop relays

Hi all

I have final stage interview for maintenace engineer job next week, the problem is all I have done so far is testing and installing, never had much to do with manufacturing electrical equipment however company decided they'll put me on development program for couple months due to my experience but obviously i'd like to prepare for tricky questions. Could any of you give me a clue what kind of electrical equipment is used in manufacturing? so far what i can think of are motors SP&TP, Relays, Inverters and DOL starters...

Cheers
Sort of thing you need to ask them Mate, do some research on the company, find out what they make, what kind of plant you will be expected to maintain.
If you have no knowledge of maintenance, and you have got this far, they must think you have something to offer, ask what training courses you will be attending, and what are they expect from you, will you be working as part of a team of Engineers. The usual question I used to ask was what is a star delta motor? answer no such animal it's a method of starting a squirrel cage motor. If you are not sure of an answer don't waffle, tell them you aren't sure but will endeavour to find out. When the interview is finished they will ask you if you have any questions, what I have outlined are a few I would expect be asked, good luck and let us know how you think you got on, don't forget RESEARCH THE COMPANY, shows you are on the ball.

Hi pawel, I was an industrial installation electrician who went into being a maintenance engineer about 3 years ago, I am not sure what your job description is but I was a multi skilled engineer for a cardboard manufacturer and printer in Yeovil, expect lots of pump rebuilds, pneumatic cylinders, hydraulics and bearings and chains to play with. The electrial side is more plc's, inverters and dc drives, encoders, solenoid valves etc.
You will find that fault finding a plc is actually surprising easy and normally the fault lies with an input attached to it, eg a faulty reed switch or limit switch etc.

The bottom line is, If you apply a logical process to most problems you will find the fault. You need to know what a machine normally does before you can work out what it isn't doing, so always ask the machine operator first, they normally know the process inside out! I can almost guarantee that will be an interview question!!

Good luck!

@somersetsparks Post was nearly a week ago mate. Most prob already done interview.
Be interested to see how he got on though.

if he tried to shag the guy's secretary, rather badly, i would think.

if he tried to shag the guy's secretary, rather badly, i would think.

Never know... some people pay quite a lot for live ----... Of course I know nothing about this........

Ay up lads! Finally... I got the job! Alredy hand in my resignation letter and looking forward to next monday. In the middle of October I'm about to start 3 month Mechanical course, obviously for that reason I'm not on full wage, however still better than in my old company. Thanks for all the tips! Didn't expect than many replies on my 1st post on this forum... :)

... they asked me about that f***in' Star delta starter :D:D

Ay up lads! Finally... I got the job! Alredy hand in my resignation letter and looking forward to next monday. In the middle of October I'm about to start 3 month Mechanical course, obviously for that reason I'm not on full wage, however still better than in my old company. Thanks for all the tips! Didn't expect than many replies on my 1st post on this forum... :)

... they asked me about that f***in' Star delta starter :D:D
And? so my #4 was useful then?

Reply to Interview questions and tips in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net