Discuss Intex Inflatable Hot Hub Usage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NA Radium

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am seeking advise on the do's and don't in regards to using an inflatable hot tub.

Please be aware that my options are somewhat limited as I am a private tenant.

The hot tub has its own in-line RCD rated for 16Amps and the manual states it draws 13Amps as a minimum!

I have checked the circuits and we have upstairs and downstairs sockets on separate circuits rated at 32Amps.

The complication I have is I don't think the lead from the pump will be long enough to reach to the nearest socket in the conservatory, could we get away with using a heavy duty extension lead?

Edit:
I have found a digital copy of the manual should it be useful and it mentions extensions leads should not be used :confused:. Also I believe the cable from the pump is between 3-4 meters long.

[automerge]1585687931[/automerge]

Attachments

• Intex Inflatable Hot Hub Usage 20200331_163516 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200331_163516.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 15
  • Intex Inflatable Hot Hub Usage 20200331_210244 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200331_210244.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum mate.
So the hot tub comes with a plug?
What does it say about electrical installation in the manual?

Welcome to the forum mate.
So the hot tub comes with a plug?
What does it say about electrical installation in the manual?

Yes its come with a standard plug you'd put into the wall.

To quote the manual;

• The plug of SPA must be directly connected only to a earthed socket-outlet from a fixed electrical installation.
• To reduce the risk of electric shock and fi re, do not use extension cords, timers, plug adaptors or converter plugs to connect unit to electrical supply; provide a properly located outlet
• Provide a properly located grounded electrical outlet with a protection grade of IPX4 or higher to connect the spa and allow easy access for periodic testing of the cord mounted RCD

It sounds like you are putting the hot tub outside the conservatory, if so DO NOT USE an extension lead, it needs wiring in to a waterproof external circuit with waterproof connectors on an RCD or preferably an RCBO, suggest you get an electrician in.

It sounds like you are putting the hot tub outside the conservatory, if so DO NOT USE an extension lead, it needs wiring in to a waterproof external circuit with waterproof connectors on an RCD or preferably an RCBO, suggest you get an electrician in.

I guess its hard to say without seeing what needs to be done - do you have any idea what price range I am looking at to have something like that done?

As you are a tenant, you will need permission from the landlord to modify the distribution board (DB), but you are not looking at something very expensive, all accords how long the run to the conservatory from the DB will be and how much the landlord will contribute (if anything) for the extra circuit, also if the run will be hidden or surface mounted.

Lets take a punt at between £200.00 and £500.00.

Hi - Most extension lead ratings are optimistic, shall we say. Particularly those cheap white items from the supermarket. It is possible to get an extension lead suitable for this temporary use I reckon, but it would need to be made of 1.5mm2 conductors, be used fully unwound and not left out in the elements etc.

Search on extension lead 1.5mm and some will come up -

So is the OP buys a 2 meter extension lead that can take 13A (or make one himself) and get a waterproof cover for the extension lead connection outside then what is the problem?
I'm presuming his DB will have an RCD so that will cover the extension lead, if not then just change a the socket he is using to a RCD one.

So is the OP buys a 2 meter extension lead that can take 13A (or make one himself) and get a waterproof cover for the extension lead connection outside then what is the problem?
I'm presuming his DB will have an RCD so that will cover the extension lead, if not then just change a the socket he is using to a RCD one.

Depends if it's done correctly with good quality stuff.

out tub is 2200watts. been on a 15ft extension lead all last summer. nothing fried .

I have been in touch with the people suggested in a previous reply, and have been advised to buy the following extension lead; specifically the 2.5mm csa cable. This would make the total length of cable 15 meters including the cable from the hot tub.

In addition to this I would also buy the Dry box.

As the cable from the hot tub has an inline PRCD do I need to consider one from the wall (a plug in one) for the extension lead?
[automerge]1585759049[/automerge]
I have just check the DB and it has an RCD covering the all of the sockets in the household.

Last edited:
My business partner has his hot tub plugged in...goes through at least a double socket a summer :D you would think the lazy sod would sort it properly, being a sparks lol.

I have been in touch with the people suggested in a previous reply, and have been advised to buy the following extension lead; specifically the 2.5mm csa cable. This would make the total length of cable 15 meters including the cable from the hot tub.

In addition to this I would also buy the Dry box.

As the cable from the hot tub has an inline PRCD do I need to consider one from the wall (a plug in one) for the extension lead?
[automerge]1585759049[/automerge]
I have just check the DB and it has an RCD covering the all of the sockets in the household.
you may well find that the tub RCD is a 10mA.

Reply to Intex Inflatable Hot Hub Usage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock