Discuss Intro: Old School Technician (That Researches Everything) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys (And Gals)

I am not a qualified electrician. But, I did work as a hardware/software technician with various companies for about 6 years. I still work in general maintenance (for a company) today, so I'm sometimes called upon to fix general electrical faults like lighting failures and broken plugs.

My actual qualification is a City & Guilds Programming Certificate which means I know more about computers (and their many quirks) than is good for me! But good programming is about fault-tracing, then systematically flushing out errors, so that's handy when fixing any circuit, device or appliance known to man (or woman).

I am still asked to fix many a laptop, PC and digital camera that I do as a kind of hobby for family and friends, so yeh... I'm an eternal tinkerer and just cant help myself!

Thanks Pete999 - Your forum already assisted me save a 2KW heater from the skip :grinning: so more power to you :thumbsup: I found some very interesting info on fake fuses, too, so I've posted a guide to replacing fuses in the "Electrical Forum" (which I hope is the right place).

kind regards, nb

Thanks to all for warm welcome (in this cold, cold weather) :santa:

Buzzlightyear's description of me as a "space cowboy" gave me a hearty chortle, I can tell you (as I'm a big fan of that movie: Where 4 oldtimers show the NASA gurus a thing or two!)

In real life, my hero is Neil Armstrong, who was, among other things, a remarkable engineer.

Since I spend too much time researching engineers, astronauts, schematics and fixing computers, I guess I could be described as a wannabe spacecowboy-super-geek quite easily :sunglasses:

To infinity and beyond! :smile:

kind regards nb

Hi Zap (Love the name)... :thumbsup:

IBM-XTs! Wow... That takes me back... PS2 connectors, 5 1/4 inch disk drives, 8086 processors... Oooh, those were the days! :smile:

Mind you, the old IBM machines were solid rigs (and certain manufacturers whom I will not name here, could learn a thing or too from IBM build quality). Anyway, yes I've installed many a PSU in my time, although "switch mode" units are new to me... Hmmm... ?

I suppose I am a "DIY-er" to a degree, although I actually worked as a pro technician (mostly cat 5 networks, PC and printer installations) for 5 years. Hung up my stirrups, though, in that trade many years ago. Now, I'm just a humble maintenance man... Ahh... Much less stress.

Oddly enough, I've also worked in theatre groups (but not on the tech side). All I know about theatre lighting is its high voltage and VERY dangerous! Not something I would miss with unless I had apprenticed in that field (and sported a few choice qualifications, to boot).

Not sure what XCB is? Although I knew a few CBers back in the day (before the net hijacked all forms of communication). Maybe I should dust off an old CB Radio, just in case all those youtube vids about a new Ice Age come true! What's that old saying: You can never be too prepared? :grinning:

Kind Regards, NB

Just for nostalgic (geek) giggles, two of my old friends...
Intro: Old School Technician (That Researches Everything) 8086IntelProcessor - EletriciansForums.net Intro: Old School Technician (That Researches Everything) IBM286XT - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Zap (Love the name)... :thumbsup:

IBM-XTs! Wow... That takes me back... PS2 connectors, 5 1/4 inch disk drives, 8086 processors... Oooh, those were the days! :smile:

Mind you, the old IBM machines were solid rigs (and certain manufacturers whom I will not name here, could learn a thing or too from IBM build quality). Anyway, yes I've installed many a PSU in my time, although "switch mode" units are new to me... Hmmm... ?

I suppose I am a "DIY-er" to a degree, although I actually worked as a pro technician (mostly cat 5 networks, PC and printer installations) for 5 years. Hung up my stirrups, though, in that trade many years ago. Now, I'm just a humble maintenance man... Ahh... Much less stress.

Oddly enough, I've also worked in theatre groups (but not on the tech side). All I know about theatre lighting is its high voltage and VERY dangerous! Not something I would miss with unless I had apprenticed in that field (and sported a few choice qualifications, to boot).

Not sure what XCB is? Although I knew a few CBers back in the day (before the net hijacked all forms of communication). Maybe I should dust off an old CB Radio, just in case all those youtube vids about a new Ice Age come true! What's that old saying: You can never be too prepared? :grinning:

Kind Regards, NB

Just for nostalgic (geek) giggles, two of my old friends...
View attachment 40045 View attachment 40046
What Voltage are you working withh on the lighting front NB?

Hi Guys:

What Voltage are you working withh on the lighting front NB?

Regarding theatre lighting voltages (I am clueless!) I worked in a few amateur groups (Thankfully, my first group had a real sparks) but I can recall a few horror stories about filaments popping and ladders collapsing (back in the days before Health & Safety were of primary concern). In those days, "spots and floods" were huge things that buzzed when you threw the ON switch! (Hair-raising)!

my first "proper" computer was a 286

I'm quite fond of the old 286s... Yes, by modern standards they would be considered snails, but the old MS-DOS and Windows Operating Systems were much leaner beasts. These days, I spend half my time removing the junkware that ships with Windows (Windows 10 is particularly junky... Microsoft have definitely lost the plot with this OS revision, I can tell you!)

Regards NB

Reply to Intro: Old School Technician (That Researches Everything) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock