Discuss Intruder alarm with Link to phone line in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

J&M Electrical

Because i cant access the cctv section i'll have to post this in here

We have been asked to install an intruder alarm system into a small shop for our friend who has just been robbed of 40k worth of gold. The alarm is no problem as we have done loads in the past however he wants this linking up to his phone line.

We havent done any like this before. What systems do people recommend? and is it just a case of running a 6 core to the master phone socket in the house or what??

Thanks in advance

all depends on what he wants. does he want a digital auto dialler to ring his home and mobile, or does he want the alarm monitoring by central station?

all depends on what he wants. does he want a digital auto dialler to ring his home and mobile, or does he want the alarm monitoring by central station?

Auto dialler to ring his mobile, he only lives round the corner from his shop

texwcom veritas panel with an autodialler is one option. gardtec do similar. the auto dialler generally plugs into the phone socket and you need a 6 core from the panel to the dialler. with the level of risk you describe, though , i would have thought his insurers would insist on monitoring.

Did a wireless one with a Veritas panel and fire alarm a few weeks ago. Can't remember what make, I'll try to find out, probably tomorrow. Decent tackle but cost about £160.

Any of the panels do this as others have mentioned the veritas is easy just connect the trgger B on bell the the trigger on dialler.
I use the menvier tsd1 speach dialler as it has 3 triggers so you can have one doing the alarm another doing a silent push button and a third on the fire alarm if you wish, you can have a different message for each with 4 different phone numbers in order but most of the diallers do this. Its really easy once you do one as you already know how the alarm works.

I just fitted a Texecom Veritas 8 compact and fitted a dialer unit with it too. Worked a treat for the customer.

However in this instance if 40K of gold is at stake then i would be tempted to fit a gsm unit (which i beleive texecom also make).

Because if someone rings his shop then breaks in, providing they keep thenline in use the dialer is redundant.

The other option is to get a redcare line fitted by bt.

Long gone with the gold, I would think....and I would imagine the OP has sorted it out by now.

We did a veritas compact with speach dialer recently. It only had the bt master then we wired 2 slaves from it. But it overloaded the lines and tennant ended up having to have a second line put in for it. Just a heads up

How did it 'overload the lines' ? Daz

If u used broadband it ran fine. If u used speach dialer it run fine. If u was using broadband and then plugged speach dialer in it would always knock broadband off. One would work but not the other. Even ehen this was made the master point.bt ran a second line to it and it works fine. Veritas said this often happens

If u used broadband it ran fine. If u used speach dialer it run fine. If u was using broadband and then plugged speach dialer in it would always knock broadband off. One would work but not the other. Even ehen this was made the master point.bt ran a second line to it and it works fine. Veritas said this often happens

Obviously you didn't connect the speech dialler using an ADSL filter. I have seen this a few times and even had a debate on a customers premises with a BT engineer who was connecting a PABX and was adamant that the Broadband would be trashed and it needed a separate line all because he didn't have the nouse to put an NTE2005 ADSL filter on the master jack and punch the PABX cabling onto that

Save the customer some money fit an ADSL filter and cancel the spare phone line

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to mention at one point I tried this. I made it the master plugged in the adsl filer it in , then connected speach dialer into that. Then at the slave I put another adsl filter in. And plugged the phone and the broadband through that. Still did same.
Am I doing something erong there. I tried every option I knew. We have fitted speach fialer before even into slaves and its been fine

Sorry forgot to mention at one point I tried this. I made it the master plugged in the adsl filer it in , then connected speach dialer into that. Then at the slave I put another adsl filter in. And plugged the phone and the broadband through that. Still did same.
Am I doing something erong there. I tried every option I knew. We have fitted speach fialer before even into slaves and its been fine

If you couldn't get it to work then obviously you were

From the info you have posted it is difficult to provide an answer there are some faults that without posting diagrams / pictures are difficult to resolve and even then there may be some site condition that has been missed by the poster that is pertinent to the problem that those answering cannot factor in

Fault finding is a combination of a few things and is only gained by experience, understanding the problem and good testing practice

Not a overload then. ? All was wired correctly. Phone and internet worked.. phone and speach dialer worked. But knocked broadband off every time

Not a overload then. ? All was wired correctly. Phone and internet worked.. phone and speach dialer worked. But knocked broadband off every time

First off would be to replace your filters or use an NTE 2005 ADSL filter then as a faulty filter will usually screw up your broadband but leave the phones working or have you got a sky box connected without filter or bodge wired as sky only know how found this at a customers once who said the broadband worked ok till sky had been

Reply to Intruder alarm with Link to phone line in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock