Discuss Intruder alarms in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi guys looking to install a new intruder alarm in my house, i want 5 detectors / sensors and to key pads ( 1 by the front door and 1 at the top of the stairs), but don't really know much about alarm systems.

Just wondered if wireless or normal alrarms are best and what are good brands of alarm?

Also because of the set up I want, would i be able to buy a kit, or would I have to assemble the bits myself?

Also, were is best to buy from?

Thanks

Craig

Yale or risco. a kit from risco ( 6 detectors) will cost you about £250 delivered.

Yale or risco. a kit from risco ( 6 detectors) will cost you about £250 delivered.

Like all things you get what you pay for, I'm a fan of the scantronic iOn16 my self for wireless, and don't see anything wrong with honeywell's accenta G4 wired system.

If I had the option I would always install a full hard wired system.

It's just if you want to spend the time of lifting up your floor boards running your cables, installing is really not as bad as you think, Well worth it in my opinion

Defo wired if possible - wirefree systems are effectively closed protocol ie you have to use that make of equip on any replacement. There are wired detectors for every purpose and these will work on any wired system.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have seen a yale wireless - the hsa 6400, and u can by additional equipment to add to it, the starter pack is goin for about 160 on ebay delivered which seems ok. But some of the replies are making me think go for a hard wired system. I will be installing it myself, I am a competent electrician but only do commercial install, I have had no experience with intruder alarms, but have fitted numerous disabled alarms, which am sure is a similar set up!

similar in many ways. for a hard wired system,basically, run a 6 or 8 core alarm cable to each and every device ( detectors, keypads, sounders ) from the panel. then connect up as manufacturers installation manual.

depends. usually cables under floor, drill in corner of room and fit pir close to ceiling, no cables showing. . for drops to keypads etc, i usually try and run cables surface or trunking in cupboards, wardrobes etc. failing which, chase in. each job has to be taken on merit. where 1 client will accept mini trunking , next door won't.

Hi Hoppy,Go to your local elec/security wholesaler and ask about kits,normally include 1x sab(bell) panel and keypad-2.1 ah battery-3 pirs and a door contact or 2. 1xdrum of cable normally 6 core.this price range is about £120-135 ish. you can also buy the extra bits needed ie 2 extra pirs and a extra keypad.the pirs normally £8-10 each and keypad about £25 if based on accenta g4.
My advice is wire it,and if its a 2up 2down put panel in loft run through cupboards etc where cables not seen as suggested. i would buy an extra drum of cable pref 8 core so when doing keypad by the door you can use the spare cores for the door by doing a joint in the back of the keypad.
good luck

Reply to Intruder alarms in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net