Discuss Inverter blowing fuses? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SeanA

-
Reaction score
My grandfather has solar panels as well as a battery pack for them. I have noticed however that its very common for fuses to blow in his house particularly quick blow fuses much more common than elsewhere also his voltage seems to be 220v which to me seems rather low.

Should he be worried and is it worth getting someone to check it?

There are some problems like a faulty or loose connection on the transformer neutral that could cause those symptoms but it really needs checking out properly.

Could you post some images of your grandfather's solar installation (not the panels) including any largish box which might be called an 'optimiser'?

Some solar installations reduced the incoming mains voltage to 220V using a so-called voltage optimiser. The solar inverter was then connected to the regulated 220V side of the inverter. The idea being that the inverter would 'see' a permanently lower voltage than it was able to produce and need not output much more than 220V.

Some inverters for their own protection disconnect from the incoming mains when directly connected when the mains voltage rises above 255V (figure will be in the inverter spec). If it did disconnect then no PV generation (or battery stored PV energy) could be supplied to the home until the mains voltage dropped below the re-connect voltage.

However, some optimisers, the VPhase being one type, where only continuously rated for about 2.5kW; they would operate for a short period in the range 2.5 - 4ish kW. After the short period or if the load immediately went above 4ish kW, the optimiser would automatically switch to bypass mode which connected the incoming mains at say 240V immediately to the home - a jump of 20V in the voltage supplied to everything in the home. The consequential surge in current through some fuses causes them to rupture.

Or something like this......so some picture would help.

I agree with others' opinions. Maybe it is the problem caused by loose or faulty connections. If you can post some pictures to show your problem, we will know more details, and it will show the problem more clearly. I have an inverter maintenance instruction, hope it can give you some ideas and clues.

Attachments

• Instruction of repair inverter.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
To the people suggesting that this could be caused by a loose connection, could you please explain how you believe a loose connection would cause a fuse to operate?

Reply to Inverter blowing fuses? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net