Discuss Inverter Monitoring and solar panel fixings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richchad

Which Inverter gives the best domestic monitoring?

Have heard that the Kaco Powador 4202 local monitoring shows output to the grid as well as what is being generated, does the SMA Sunnybeam or Fronius do this?

I have roof trusses only 34mm wide and 70mm deep, will battens have to be fitted to the trusses to avoid weakening the trusses when panel frame hooks are fitted?

1) Output to the grid is dependant upon consumption, no inverter can tell you that on its own, you would need to install an export meter also:)

It is dependant upon how it is all wired in you need to monitor both generation and consumption simultaneously, and as such the inverter will need to be wired in with its own CU, otherwise it is almost impossible to measure consumption as most of the meters don;t know which way the current is flowing, (import / export)

Solution - Current Cost we are working with them to develop a system that continuosly monitors generation and consumption, then hooked up to the web you be able to see generation, import and export. tada!

If you only want to monitor generation, then a lot of inverters offer that, SMA and there SunnyBoy inverters have a free PC tool (you'll need Bluetooth if not built in) and a handy desktop display (Sunnybeam), or connect to the web with their webbox. I can't comment about fronius.

Re Roof trusses,
There are simple rules (Building regs)
Rafters may be as little as 35mm wide in prefabricated roof trusses, thus careful consideration must be given to the specification of fixings into this timber in order to achieve the necessary edge distances required by the design codes. The absolute minimum acceptable edge distance is 4 x screw diameter and the minimum screw spacing is 7 x screw diameter. The installer of the clamps must ensure that these minimum distances are achieved

4 x Screw diameter (both edges + screw) = 9 x screw diameter = 4mm Screw on a 35mm rafter

This is actually very diffcult to achieve, and the only system we know currently available in the UK that complies is the Hilti one, others may know others.

Otherwise they will have to strengthern each rafter by widening it with suitably bolted strengthening pieces.

Most of the nationals are ignorant of this requirement, anyone active on this forum knows about it!.

If they don't, the system doesn't comply with Building Regs and de facto hasn't been installed in compliance with the MCS standards and as such is ineligble for the FiTs

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Worcester, most useful, will be interesting if Current Cost come up with a system to show import/export.

I wonder if this info can be taken from the Coolpower EMMA unit that monitors import/export so that they can use any 'spare' for immersion heater?

Thanks for the info Worcester, most useful, will be interesting if Current Cost come up with a system to show import/export.

I wonder if this info can be taken from the Coolpower EMMA unit that monitors import/export so that they can use any 'spare' for immersion heater?

Theoritically no reason why not, we have a few isntallations beta testing the Current Cost solution at the moment, just to see how accurate it is, mind you though the customers we have it in at, don't want to let it go!

1) Output to the grid is dependant upon consumption, no inverter can tell you that on its own, you would need to install an export meter also:)

It is dependant upon how it is all wired in you need to monitor both generation and consumption simultaneously, and as such the inverter will need to be wired in with its own CU, otherwise it is almost impossible to measure consumption as most of the meters don;t know which way the current is flowing, (import / export)

Solution - Current Cost we are working with them to develop a system that continuosly monitors generation and consumption, then hooked up to the web you be able to see generation, import and export. tada!

If you only want to monitor generation, then a lot of inverters offer that, SMA and there SunnyBoy inverters have a free PC tool (you'll need Bluetooth if not built in) and a handy desktop display (Sunnybeam), or connect to the web with their webbox. I can't comment about fronius.

Re Roof trusses,
There are simple rules (Building regs)

4 x Screw diameter (both edges + screw) = 9 x screw diameter = 4mm Screw on a 35mm rafter

This is actually very diffcult to achieve, and the only system we know currently available in the UK that complies is the Hilti one, others may know others.

Otherwise they will have to strengthern each rafter by widening it with suitably bolted strengthening pieces.

Most of the nationals are ignorant of this requirement, anyone active on this forum knows about it!.

If they don't, the system doesn't comply with Building Regs and de facto hasn't been installed in compliance with the MCS standards and as such is ineligble for the FiTs

Not withstanding the fixing advice, Building regulations require that the integrity of the roof being fixed to is maintained. Therefore calculations for roof loadings are required to ensure that the existing roof can take the additional weight, which in many cases it can't as it would not have been designed to take the extra load in the first place.

Reply to Inverter Monitoring and solar panel fixings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net