Discuss Inverter Question Please - Runs 240v Ballast and 12v Fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rom

Hi

After a little advice please. I have an aquarium hood, which has (what i think is called) an inverter. Says 240v 50hz. This powers a small circuit board, which powered 2 240v electronic ballasts, which were dead. I fitted a twin ballast instead.
Also runs some 12v LEDs, and 2 12v Fans.

Its the fan side im struggling with. Ive replaced the fans, old ones were 12v dc 0.08 A, new ones are 12v dc 0.1 A. Ive tried having one or both plugged in, and they just twitch. They work fine however on another 12v source. I should say, the old ones worked, just very poor air flow. They also work on another 12v source.

Im getting 11.3v AC from the inverter to the circuit board. When i measure at the fan its 9.6v DC

Could it simply be the amperage difference ? I thought being so close wouldnt be a problem. If i cant get them to work, ill have to use an external AC DC adaptor. Would mean manually turning them on, or timing them. As they are, they would come on with the lights.

Thanks

20120719_153629.jpg
20120719_133928.jpg

Not the greatest pics, but all i have here. Hoods at work.

The thin red and black wires running to the board have 12vAC, the fans plug in the centre of the board, just below the capacitors / resistors.
The fans are getting around 9v DC, but only twitch. Rather than spin freely.

Ahh..not sure those pics will work, as i dont have enough posts to post links / pics. Will see once a Mod approves the posts i guess.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to Inverter Question Please - Runs 240v Ballast and 12v Fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'd like to find a timer switch, in a style that looks alright next to decora light switches, to control a bathroom fan. The bathroom fan...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Im new to the forum and wanted to check something and maybe get some advice confirmation. Ive got halogen wall lights which use a...
Replies
Views
Hello I have recently moved home and I looking to upgrade lighting across the house to LED. In the kitchen I have found that there is installed...
Replies
Views
Hi fellow sparks, I've just started out on my own so I'm spending a lot of my time trying to find out the correct way of doing things of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new here and looking at this True Sine Wave Power Inverter from AliExpress, but I have never seen any inverter without a transformer? How...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock