Discuss IP 55 Enclosure from screwfix! code 33991 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just used 11 of these boxes with SWA terminations

They are awful and I dont want someone else to have the same problems I did.

They seem ok, quite sturdy and the price attracts you, however one or two of the screws snapped when doing up the front cover and then MANY more snapped when undoing to test. This leaves a snapped screw in the box which you either have to remove and rebore or provide a new box (both options being a right pain). This happened to 5 of the 11 boxes.

The reason I am writing is because screwfix is the biggest seller to electricians on this site (according to the poll). Screwfix themselves are great, but I would strongly recommend against this product.

IP55 Enclosure Grey 85 x 75 x 65mm | Weatherproof Enclosures | screwflix..com

I always use Wiska boxes!

Haven't tried them Murdoch, what is the advantage of them? Is there anything different compared to other IP adaptable boxes? They look fairly similar to the IP box I usually use and am comfortable with :

IP65 Adaptable Box 93 x 93 x 55mm | Junction Boxes | screwflix..com

Haven't tried them Murdoch, what is the advantage of them? Is there anything different compared to other IP adaptable boxes? They look fairly similar to the IP box I usually use and am comfortable with :

IP65 Adaptable Box 93 x 93 x 55mm | Junction Boxes | screwflix..com

Give one a go and see what you think - they are about £3.50 each + VAT

They don't use screws for a start to hold the lids on!

must be heavy handed. i use the BG ones with no issues. at least the knockouts knock out without splitting the box, unlike some i;ve tried.

must be heavy handed. i use the BG ones with no issues. at least the knockouts knock out without splitting the box, unlike some i;ve tried.

+1 an you can always guarantee its your last box in stock as well :D

i find the wiska plastic/threads to be hard wearing haven't had any problems yet :D

I've used these for CCTV junction boxes next to the cameras on end or mid runs of conduit, thought they were ok but yes I agree the screws were slightly iffy but if you use the correct screwdriver it works better.

Never have liked BG but that's a lot of screws to just snap, you weren't using a combi drill or impact driver to tighten them were you? Either that or you've got forearms like Popeye

I tend to use the IMO din rail enclosures edmundsons sell never had any problems with them

These arn't the ones with knockouts Tel, you have to drill these out with a hole saw. i've used the ones you mention before and liked them.

I've used these for CCTV junction boxes next to the cameras on end or mid runs of conduit, thought they were ok but yes I agree the screws were slightly iffy but if you use the correct screwdriver it works better.

Used a CK pozi size 2 and after one or two snapped I treated them like a beautiful woman and still they snapped!

Take a look on the TLC website as they list the sizes and colours

I have just bought 2 of them (different sizes) to have a play with :smiley2:

I didn't have any snap myself but the issue is similar to thT of the bg outdoor sockets, the screws could do with being improved. I use a flat head not to thick but the full width of the screw, works best.

TBF HHD the image you posted had knockouts.

Sorry Ferg, when I say knockouts I mean ones you can just give a 'knock' and out they come, BG do these I think. The BG ones (as in the link) you have to drill.

Used a CK pozi size 2 and after one or two snapped I treated them like a beautiful woman and still they snapped!

I'm sure you will tell me off for teaching a granny to suck eggs...

But are you sure you are not cross threading the screws?

Either way lesson learned..

Buy something decent from your local wholesalers that you trust.

I'm sure you will tell me off for teaching a granny to suck eggs...

But are you sure you are not cross threading the screws?

Either way lesson learned..

Buy something decent from your local wholesalers that you trust.

Nope, threads wern't crossed. Judging from the other reviewson the screwfix site it seems to be a common fault with them (albeit only 3 reviews). The only reason I ignored the reviews is because I had used a couple in the past without problem.

Reply to IP 55 Enclosure from screwfix! code 33991 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock