Discuss IP rating of shower pull cord in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

richy3333

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Found a shower pull cord switch within zone 1 of a shower. Can't tell the manufacturers details so can't ask them. So does anyone know what the general rating for these switches are? (Thought I saw something posted on here once, possibly by Spin?).

Either way not a great installation and it was like this on 4 showers.

Here's a piccy:IMG_2023.jpg

HandySparks

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I agree, not where I would have put it, but is it actually in zone 1? What's the height of the body of the switch from the floor?

P

Plonker 3

Unless the room was modified after the pull cord was fitted which put the shower there.

D

Deleted member 26818

My understanding, is that MK ceiling accessories are only IP3X, as such not suitable for positioning anywhere in the zones, and not recommended for positioning where they would be subjected to excessive moisture or dampness.
Even if the ceiling is 2.25m above floor level, I wouldn't consider placing the accessory directly above zone 1 a good idea.

G

Guest55

Which is why i always use a wall switch on the shower installs i do.
total faff to wire up pullcords regardless of where they are , and i've lost count of the ones that have burnt out.

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Also to note is the shower switch is a functional means of isolation that should be able to be used of which is clearly not as its out of reach in its short string state, question is do you put the string on and class it as a zone 1 violation ;)..... wet moisture laden string all the way up to a damp live switch :6:

mouldy

New EF Member
The pull cord switch needs to be IPx4 rated or above, but does such a thing exist? I checked with MK today & they don't make one. Does anyone out there know of one? Would make my life a lot easier.

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The pull string needs to move in and out of the pull switch i fear it isnt possible to acheive IP4X because of this but good look trying to find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Black

Votes: 24 34.3%

Electrician Talk