Discuss IP Rating of trunking in a multi-story carpark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

this is from the blue book BS7671 as I don’t have the brown with me.

Non-sheathed cables are permitted if the cable trunking system provides at least the degree of protection IPXXD or
IP4X, and if the cover can only be removed by means of a tool or a deliberate action.
NOTE: For a cable trunking system to meet IP4X requirements, IP4X trunking and related system components would need to be installed. if a system includes site-fabricated joints the installer must confirm the completed item meets at least the degree of protection IPXXD.

The technical answer, I'm fairly sure, is that it needs to be whatever the designer deems necessary based on an assesment of the environmental influences. For example - you may not need to really consider water ingress as it's inside, however it's constantly damp and also subject to chemical fumes from exhausts, therefore you might need to consider Stainless Steel rather than Galv - and so on. (Accepting fully that that's not technically anything to do with IP.....)

IP4X will cover most bases unless its outside / open to the elements then metal trunking isn't suitable anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to IP Rating of trunking in a multi-story carpark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I'm planning on adding some lighting to an old stone shed, there's currently a 2.5mm² SWA supply to the shed only supplying one IP rated...
Replies
Views
Saw this yesterday whilst installing some IT network cables at a prestigious private school as part of a student accommodation renovation project...
Replies
Views
With next week forecast for rain, we thought we’d take a moment to explore what IP ratings are and why it is important to know their meaning. In...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I am installing some metal trunking vertically in a meter cupboard to contain all the meter tails for an apartment block. I have 5 sets...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently doing a level 2 (2365). We have been doing trunking factors and I am not sure about if you need to apply the 45% space...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock