Discuss IP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been round to mother-in-laws for lunch and got the usual bring your test kit.

They had powered access installed less than 2 years ago and have had numerous problems with the garage RCD tripping after heavy rain. The original installer has been back several times to try and fix the ground lights which are filling with water and he's tried numerous tricks such as silicone sealant on everything except the drain holes he put in and putting in IP67 lamps into the original enclosures... As the guarantee has lapsed the original builder has suddenly lost interest.

There's 1.5 SWA running to all points but has been terminated underneath the pots which are class 1 and there's no bonding. As you can see by the photo's there are poor terminations on the JB's which are filling with water. The whole install is a right bag of spanners.

Cables aren't buried deep which didn't overly concern me but when I looked at the tree uplighters things really raised an eyebrow... SWA buried at roughly 50mm and the lamp enclosures screwed into the trunks.

IP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000038 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000039 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000040 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000041 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000042 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000043 - EletriciansForums.netIP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures WP_000045 - EletriciansForums.net

I've now got a bit of work to do sorting this out, keeps me off the streets.

They want to keep costs down as everyone does and I can sort the water ingress problem out to an extent. It's a pretty high water table and they don't want bollards or lampposts putting in.

Going to try and persuade them to change the garage box to something with a bit more discrimination (currently RCD main and the usual 6 and 16 amp MCB) as when the lights go, everything else goes.

Tree uplighters are the easiest fix.

Simple enough job but does anyone have any recommendations for IP67 or 68 enclosures?

regardless of the guarantee lapsing this is an ongoing issue and he is still liable for the work done, i would seek legal advice and have a letter sent to him either telling him to replace or compensate you for the job done. You are also covered by the consumers rights act 1979 and this will still be in your benefit re' this job.
Also discrimination will not be achieved on domestic and at most you may get partial discrimination so wasting your money trying to do it unless you are relating to rcd tripping then rcbo's will stop the nuisence of other circuits been lost.

Last edited:
Ive a feeling the fitting are re-usable but hes probably fitted wrong swa glands you require IP68 glands as you say the ground water is high so it should be classed as submersable.

Was looking at putting an RCBO board in the garage, again cost is the issue.

The SWA is terminated under the pot in a metal conduit box, cables then enter the pot via compression gland, hence no bonding onto the pot. Lots of sealer around the glands, shame he's drilled drain holes in the bottom...

Going to rip the whole lot out and terminate correctly but I would prefer to use fittings more suitable to the location, current pots are IP65 but I should be able to increase this. Each lighting spur is also protected by a SFCU but I didn't get chance to get in and have a look at the fuse rating due not enough cable being left to get access to the all weather box they're in, I could swap these for DP switches to at least isolate the lighting fully if there are problems in the future so at least the gates will operate.

The main culprits are the junction boxes, bad fittings are letting water in.

I would much prefer to fit bollards or lamp posts to bring the whole lot above ground but as usual there is umming and arring...

I hate doing family work.

if you go down the conduit box or any glanding box route id be incline to gel fill it this will give a water tight seal regardless, and knock a quid of your hourly rate and watch out for the cries of 'We are Family!!!!'

Was going down the gel fill route, mainly for belt and braces. They're minted so it will be a higher family rate... :lol:

Hopefully I can pull enough cable and scrap the conduit box, go direct onto the pot, less to go wrong.

Got to give them some options and price it up, should be an easy enough fix.

Cheers darkwood.

I hate it when the family rings at strange times cos its either a funeral or another job they want me to take on, me personally; feel like i could just say no sometimes but i suppose thats just the way it is in our trade.

Quick update, the original installer has been called back, hopefully this will be sorted this time.

Best he brings a shovel to bury that cable properly as well... :lol:

Dry out the boxes re-terminate if necessary and fill them full of 'Magic Gel'

No more water ingress.

Only crappy little boxes fitted, hopefully he'll be sporting new ones soon. Rain expected here on Saturday so we'll soon know.

Reply to IP67 or IP68 lamp enclosures in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock