Discuss Ipad or Sumsung galaxy in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarsavings

Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
I have been taking a workbook of installations with me to sales calls to show prospective customers what we do but feel we could present things a little better if we use either the ipad or galaxy.

What do you guys use and why?

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I had a Galaxy and TBH found it pretty bad, I'm not a fan of the Android OS. Borrowed an Ipad a few weeks ago and it certainly is a good bit of kit, also the larger screen will give you clearer pictures.

mydigitalhome

Regular EF Member
Ipad 3 it rock's. Now keep all my electrical / regs books on it. Plus have found using skype video fantastic especially handy when trying to resolve issues when speaking with the office.

Worcester

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
No Discussion, the Ipad with all the apps you can get make it a no-brainer.

widdler

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I have an ipad and an Android version 4.0 tablet. The ipad runs smoother and the images render quicker, even though I have more RAM in the Android.

The Android is now used just for development testing for apps and courses/sites I create.

S

steve Leese

Ipad for sure, much better pictures and the short videos of installations impress the customers.

Worcester

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
Not sure which apps will run on the Ipad, my iPhone now indespensible with the following apps:
Inclinometer
Compass
Camera (duuuh!)
ExifWizard (details of the photos)
Theodolite
Windmeter (we use a lot of cherry pickers for industrial site surveys)
Torch
NavFree (Free SatNav)
LightMeter (for lighting replacement projects)
SMA Sunny Dots
SMA Sunny Portal
SolarEdge (monitoring)
SolarEdge Site Designer
MetOffice Weather
Screwfix Catalogue
Screwfix Toolbox
LateRooms
oh and - McDsFinder :)

Just now need a couple of apps for the commissioning documents (use Notes at the moment) and could almost do away with paper!

Plus others for personal use

What do others use?

D

DomB

SolarTrack is good and free. It overlays the track of the sun onto the camera view so you can see which objects would cause shadow and when

Scobo

Regular EF Member
My son has a Samsung which is not bad but I have the iPad 2 which beats it hands down so long as you don't require Adobe Flash which the iPad doesn't support.

PvNewbie

Regular EF Member
I use Solar Payback (UK) on the iPad. Very neat for PV payback spreadsheet and presentations.

The Solar King

Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
In terms of apps for iphone. Have a look at:
Sun Seeker Lite (free) or full
Altimeter (free) - useful for wind calcs.
Solmetric iPV - It looks expensive but I find it hugely useful for horizons and shading objects. If you live in a hilly area, you would be surprised at the difference horizon can make when properly input into PVsol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Black

Votes: 31 33.0%

Electrician Talk