Discuss IR connundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've got a bit of a head scratcher that I was hoping someone could help with.

I have a ring main feeding 7 points. When testing IR btw L&N I get 967Mohm but when testing N-E & L-E I get 455Mohm. I split the ring and tested as 2 radials and the results suddenly come back all clear at >1000Mohm L-N L-E and N-E??? When I reconnect the ring it's back down to 455Mohm??

I've checked all connections at the sockets and all good.

Any ideas??

Cheers
Mark

Are you disconnecting ALL the circuit conductors from the CO Ls, Ns and cpcs??

Actually, looking at the figures again.
If you have about 500M IR for a complete ring, then splitting into two halves would give about 1000M for each half if the 'fault' is evenly distributed.

I don't really see a problem, especially as the figures are so high.

Keep the test on for at least a minute and see how the reading change i would say that the reading would slowly go up slowly if it is a damp problem but I wouldnt lose any sleep over the readings posted!

I'd agree the values look ok. The L-N us passing through two conductor insulations. L-E and N-E are only passing through the line conductor insulators as the CPC is bare.
A little moisture in the cable and you will see lower values.
Your tested proved the values where consistent even when split.

the only problem as i see it is OP considering that 455Mohms is worthy of a second look. many MFTs only read up to 299Meg.

the only problem as i see it is OP considering that 455Mohms is worthy of a second look. many MFTs only read up to 299Meg.
probably a strange thought, but any chance the OP could be misreading the MFT and stating OHMS instead.

Although i admire the OP's fastidious nature,i don't see a great issue.

If he ever does an EICR on a 3 storey victorian semi,with all sockets connected to one circuit by one means or another...his head may explode :)

Fixed that for you:

I have a ring main feeding 7 points. When testing IR btw L&N I get an excellent high reading and when testing N-E & L-E I get another excellent high reading. I split the ring and tested as 2 radials and the results suddenly come back as excellent, even higher readings as you would expect, L-N L-E and N-E. When I reconnect the ring it's back to its original excellent high reading.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I agree the results are good but I wasn't worried about them I was just curious as to why I was getting a lower reading when testing to earth. I was hoping to see them all around the same value.

Are you disconnecting ALL the circuit conductors from the CO Ls, Ns and cpcs??
Since the 17th Edition came out it has been required to have the cpcs connected to the Earthing arrangement and not disconnected.

That said, I really wouldn't be worrying about 455 million Ohms!

Reply to IR connundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net