Discuss IR Faultfinding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve D

Hi All,

I've got a C&G 2330 practical exam on insp & testing and faultfinding on tuesday.

When performing an IR test on a ring for example to try to identify a fault, I've read somewhere to set the meter to 250V instead of 500V.

Is this right, and if so can you explain why please ?

Cheers
Steve

Cheers Mark.

We know there won't be any loads connected as we will be able to see all the sockets in front of us.
If I'm asked why I'm testing at 250V rather than 500V then I just need to be able to jusify myself.

Cheers
Steve

Hi, I did my practical exam in march, use it on the 500v range as that is what is needed for LV in the regs, 250v is for ELV. see Table 61 of BS7671 regs (page 158).
the caution we had was that we had 4 rcbo's that were vunerable to insulation resistance testing, so the phase was removed from the rcbo for testing ie P-N, P.E.
hope this helps, also if you are on a similar rig, there was a choke in the bath room light, neon on the shower switch and the coil in the DOL to take into concideration.

good luck simon

got mine toorow (monday)

we have never been told to put on 250v setting

you do 500v then if thats low or 0 you do killo ohms setting again if to low you put on normal ohms setting like you would for continuity

then you work out if its low IR or short circuit

hope that helps

Reply to IR Faultfinding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Had a call out at a dental practice at 19:00 last night in the end I left the fault disconnect requiring further investigation. This fault not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post so go easy! This is for people who are looking for more info on the course and exams and is from my experience of doing the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As I've said before, I'm not an electrician but an adult learner. I have a second hand Fluke 1653B MFT which is out of calibration but I...
Replies
Views
The purpose of this thread is two-fold: to let you folks see an EICR from someone who's too lazy (or busy) to even bother forging his test...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently studying/training to start a career as an electrician and i have recently finished my C&G Level 2 and currently studying for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock