Discuss IR test on TP+N Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Afternoon I was wonder the correct procedure to carry out a IR test on TP+N switch , i been told the tpn switch shouldn't be switch on for this test , i believe if the load are remove the switch should be on so i would test the complete circuit

Thank for you help

Good Afternoon I was wonder the correct procedure to carry out a IR test on TP+N switch , i been told the tpn switch shouldn't be switch on for this test , i believe if the load are remove the switch should be on so i would test the complete circuit

Thank for you help

Thank for you help
if the loads were removed and the switch in the off position, how on earth would you be able to IR test the installation past the switch? After all there could be some wiring left in circuit past the Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the loads were removed and the switch in the off position, how on earth would you be able to IR test the installation past the switch an odd question foe a qualified Electrical Engineer.
Yes that the reason of my question because I m been told to leave off and carry out 2 test, before and after switch and I cannot figure out why . It is a lot easy with load remove and switch on .

Yes that the reason of my question because I m been told to leave off and carry out 2 test, before and after switch and I cannot figure out why . It is a lot easy with load remove and switch on .
It is if you have dissed the load leaving the wiring in circuit!!!!!!!!

Yes that the reason of my question because I m been told to leave off and carry out 2 test, before and after switch and I cannot figure out why . It is a lot easier with load remove and switch on .
I dont understand,do you want to test past the switch or as far as the switch?
I suppose in reality it depends on how far the load is from the switch in question, however a decent IR rest should include the cables from the switch unto the load, the OP Didn't make it clear.

Depends on the load, there may be a local isolator next to it. Turn isolator off, turn switch on. IR as far as you can.
Same as disconnecting.

maybe the person telling you to do it from load and supply separately does it that way out of habit as, if there is a problem, you know which cable it’s on.

Depends on the load, there may be a local isolator next to it. Turn isolator off, turn switch on. IR as far as you can.
Same as disconnecting.

maybe the person telling you to do it from load and supply separately does it that way out of habit as, if there is a problem, you know which cable it’s on.
Couldn't you do the self same thing, by dissing the load, testing IR and switching the isolator on and off soon find out which cable has the fault on, if there is a fault that is?

Reply to IR test on TP+N Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net