Discuss IR testing not settling on a measurement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sbc

Morning to all the good people out there.

When insulation resistance testing using Megger MFT 1710, sometimes the value never get to >999, it will keep rolling over random numbers and never settle which i do for about 15-20 seconds and give up. I may expect to see this on older cable but i've been getting this on new cable, 1.5mm & 2.5mm.

I got the megger with the 7 week C&G course i did, so im now starting out and learning in the real world

Could anyone tell me if this is normal?

Should it settle on a measurement?

How long should I do the IR test for?

What measurement should i enter on the cert?

Thanks in advance to all who reply

if you are holding the leads or breathing on the connections, it can affect the reading. bloody stupid having meters read up to hundreds of Megs. IMO.

if you are holding the leads or breathing on the connections, it can affect the reading. bloody stupid having meters read up to hundreds of Megs. IMO.

My old works meter would read 999 Gigs. Bad weather would play havock with it if you didn't set the leads out correctly.

I've corrected this now a couple have had a go at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave the test on for minute.

Had it before where when doing a global test the reading is up and down and never stabilising. Keeping the test on for 60 secs sorted it and it stabilized as it mostly will imo

This instability is usually due to damp.
As you hold the test buton, current is heating up the conductors causing the damp to evaporate.
If cable ends are left exposed for any amount of time, damp will travel up the cables from the exposed ends.
It does appear that the newer low smoke cables are more prone to this.

How long should I do the IR test for?

You have been given the various reasons why you are experiencing fluctuating IR readings. So i will just give you what the recommended time durations should be.

When conducting final IR tests after an installation has been completed or for other official recording, the time duration should be a minimum of one minute, during which time the meters reading should be stable. For general checking, 10 to 20 sec's should be sufficient to see if there is a problem present or not!!

As for ranges on IR test meters, it is standard practice to use a 1Tg ohm or more, meter on sub-station IR testing, at anything between the test equipments 1KV to 10kV voltage ranges...

Reply to IR testing not settling on a measurement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net